Washer Thermocouple Mounting to Big Green Egg

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Somebody asked about this and I'd lost the images so I went out and took some more. I have the Auber "washer probe" thermocouple installed semi-permanently on my large Big Green Egg. To do this I just slid it over the dial thermometer probe tip and then used an alligator clip to prevent it from sliding off. Wrapping a little wire around it would work just as well.

fbhXVzM.jpg

The wire just runs straight down to the seam in the lid gasket, out and around through the channel around the lid which I squirted some clear silicone in to hold it in place. If I wanted to remove this I could literally just peel the wire out and then remove the silicone with a screwdriver tip pretty easily. The cord goes through the hinge in the back for strain relief and the plug reaches all the way back up to the front with several inches to spare. It's always out of the way both inside and outside the grill.
XE5BK2k.jpg

MPXNgpr.jpg

When not in use I store the cord inside the egg, once the temperature has cooled.
2dttRNf.jpg

Off topic, the HeaterMeter is held on with pegs that go through the original accessory holes on the side shelves and then sticks with the magic of magnets. It doesn't work well though because it can very easily be knocked off by bumping into it and levering it out of the peg holes. I'm still looking for an easy way to secure it a little better but without needing any effort to install or remove it.
Fpr2htf.jpg

They were rare earth magnets. It might work if I had some 3/4" bar-shaped magnets that were 2" long. The issue is that the HeaterMeter creates too much a lever so it's easy to pop the magnets off the metal. Sometimes it will droop and snap back on but it's not a great solution just because the physical interface area is too small (without a really large magnet). Rare earth magnets are super cool though because if I just put one in each hole they swivel in the holes and line up magnetic fields with each other, and they're an inch apart!

I glued a magnet that I ripped out of a dead hard drive to the back of my HM and it holds my case firmly to anything I stick it to... The magnet is kinda quarter moon shaped and very thin, it pried off the original mount place easily with a razor blade.... So, if you have a dead HD around....

Here's a couple pics....
HM_Mag2.jpg

HM_Mag.jpg

I wanted the magnet so it could stick to my microwave (rather than hang on a screw), I used the hard drive magnet because it was here, free and works well. In the future I plan to source and add some magnets to the back of my case design but I am gonna be occupied with other stuff after next week for a while into the future and don't have the time to do that right now. So look for that coming this fall...

Back