Seasoning your smoker?

Jim Phillips

I've read some people season their WSM before first use with bacon and scraps (Slap yo' daddy comes to mind). I can see running a first burn-in with nothing on the grill to clean factory stuff off. After that why not cook some "Best Chicken Ever" to start the seasoning?

I did the initial burn in and let the temps just run up. Instead of the scraps I went with 2 small pork butts. Yeah the temp got a little high on that first cook but pork butts are forgiving and the meat turned out great!

I second what Tony stated. For the first couple of smokes, it may run hotter due to not being seasoned but the more you use it the more seasoning is built up.

Got my first 18 1/2 leveled off at 225. Put on a pound of cheap bacon (do not separate, leave clumped together). Played 18 holes of golf. Came back, took it off and put on some chicken. The chicken turned out great, and as an unexpected bonus, the bacon was good too.

Later got a new 22 1/2 and did not season at all, but did put on the nomex seals. IMHO, the seasoning is more for stopping leaks and the nomex accomplished that.

Thanks all, I decided on the Tony method. Just cook and enjoy. Last night I made the Best Chicken Ever. Next up, Pork but or shoulder. I will do some research on the Nomex Seals. Thanks again.

Back