Charcoal Baskets

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm getting ready to call my old Bar-B-Kettle up from AAA and get in back in the starting line-up. When I bought it (to use at my office) I was using a Performer at home. I was disappointed that it didn't come with the half-moon wire baskets that my Performer had. That's one of the first things I want to add to it. But I see now that the new ones that Weber sells are folded steel with vents only on one side. What's the collective opinion on the new baskets? It's not out of the question to make my own...I have a pretty well equipped shop with a torch and a welder. But, if there's an advantage to the folded ones that I'm not seeing, I'll commit my time to other things.

I'm getting ready to call my old Bar-B-Kettle up from AAA and get in back in the starting line-up. When I bought it (to use at my office) I was using a Performer at home. I was disappointed that it didn't come with the half-moon wire baskets that my Performer had. That's one of the first things I want to add to it. But I see now that the new ones that Weber sells are folded steel with vents only on one side. What's the collective opinion on the new baskets? It's not out of the question to make my own...I have a pretty well equipped shop with a torch and a welder. But, if there's an advantage to the folded ones that I'm not seeing, I'll commit my time to other things.

I think the baskets lower the airflow over the coals, which slows down their burn. This can be an advantage or a disadvantage.

I'd commit $8 to the Weber charcoal rails instead of getting out the TIG welder,but to each his own.

I also use fire bricks to contain charcoal at times. I like using high, but indirect heat, most of the time. It's hard to get 400* or more out of briquettes using the baskets.

The rails look way too short, to me. Plus, it doesn't appear you can move them once you get the fire going. On my old Performer I used to sear with the two baskets pushed together, then split them apart for indirect finishing. ereplacementparts has the wire baskets, but they're $20 per!

Like you, I do a lot of high heat indirect. I don't think I would be very happy with the sheet metal baskets...I just don't see the airflow I think it needs to get to the temps I want. I might dig out the welder, just to say I did it. :cool: I could go even a little bigger than the standard ones.

I use the trays frequently, old style, and look forward to some comments on the new style. Are they smaller?

Seem smaller to me, but worse than smaller is the fact that the sides are solid. Here's a pic.

307403_630x440_a.jpg

I use baskets....but I don't think my sides are solid, the solid sides could be a help or not. Most of the time I have my baskets pushed up against the side of the Kettle, but there are times that they are in the center of the kettle.

I like to use my baskets, because they helps me keep the grill nice. I've seen lots of pictures where the coating falls off due to too much heat when the coals have been resting on the inner wall of the kettle.
The ability to move the heated coals when grilling is another bonus.
If I need a large heated area, I use my baskets on each siden of the briquettes on each side, when I need less grilling area, I fill the baskets. Easy, convenient, and it does the job.

Chuck,

Can you push the two of them together in the middle and still have it burn well? Like for instance, under your Comal?

Appreciate the photo and the link, Bob. That picture proves my mind's eye was right. The new ones are shorter and smaller both. I found the old style at ereplacementparts.com and ebay, but at $40 for a pair, plus shipping, I think I will try fabbing some like George in this thread and Jak in the other. Off to the hardware store tomorrow to look for material.

Chuck,

Can you push the two of them together in the middle and still have it burn well? Like for instance, under your Comal?
That is exactly what I did. I pull them apart when I want an indirect cook, or I can push them to one side for an indirect and I keep them together when I want a direct cook, or to heat my comal or my pizza stone too

I like to use my baskets, because they helps me keep the grill nice. I've seen lots of pictures where the coating falls off due to too much heat when the coals have been resting on the inner wall of the kettle.
The ability to move the heated coals when grilling is another bonus.
If I need a large heated area, I use my baskets on each siden of the briquettes on each side, when I need less grilling area, I fill the baskets. Easy, convenient, and it does the job.

I am pretty new to the kettle , but im going to agree with geir on this....

I've always used the wire baskets, but I had a set of the folded sheet metal ones that came with my Performer. I grabbed them out of the basement after burning up my last set of baskets and discovered that I actually like them better. The backside is slightly angled so they fit tighter against the sides of the kettle, leaving more room down the center between the baskets. They seem to sit a little lower, meaning that the grate is more likely to fit back on the grill. And, they actually seem to hold a little more charcoal.

I don't think it's a big deal, one way or the other. As a confirmed basket guy, I'm happy to use the sheet metal holders.

Last edited:

Back