Settling the old Grate vs Dome Thermometer Argument

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
I recently decide to add a grill gate thermometer to my 22" WSM. So I ordered a replacement for the dome. (They won't sell you one if you tell them it's for a modification. I had to change my story and say I'm replacing the dome which was out of warranty.)

I installed the new thermometer just above the door under the lip of the middle section.

As you'll notice... The difference is negligible. 2-6* max.

If you do this, order the thermometer only. The bezel won't fit!

Last edited:
How long is the actual themometer though? If the answer is not very then it could well be taking a reading from the hot air coming up the sides which would be a fair bit higher than temperature at the grate.

I always use a grill probe by Maverik 732. I occasionally compare grill T with dome T. No way, I always read a lower T at dome therm (WSM 22)

I also use a Maverick and my Stoker also has a pit probe as well. My grate temp is always higher than the dome temp, usually around 25 degrees diff. Even at grate level, comparing the Maverick 733 pit probe temp with the Stoker pit probe, both sitting about an inch apart, if that far, I get temp differences (only a couple degrees at most). The one closer to the edge is hotter, I suspect it is picking up some of the heated air from below.

Dave

Hi Frank...

I take it there's no load (meat) inside. Or if there is meat inside, it's almost done cooking ;)

Bob

They won't sell you one if you tell them it's for a modification. I had to change my story and say I'm replacing the dome
That's funny, that's kind of the hassle I got when I ordered the grommets that now come in the 2014's. Mine is a 2013, when I said that, they weren't going to send me the grommets until I said "yea they were there and popped out"

As a old BBQ Sage once said, " Don't worry so much about temps. It's a live fire. Temps will vary. As long as there are no wild swings don't sweat it." ����������

I have the 2014 model WSM 18.5" and I found the same results. I was told to check my grate temp when when I did it was only about 5 degrees warmer than the dome.

As a old BBQ Sage once said, " Don't worry so much about temps. It's a live fire. Temps will vary. As long as there are no wild swings don't sweat it." ����������

i think there's a lot of sense in that. I used to drive myself nuts chasing temps and my brother (the Texas BBQ know it all)
said " relax , bubba , you gonna give yourself a heart attack ...just use that therm as a rough guide and let it rock and roll. The feel and temp of the meat is what counts. "
Well , I took that advice to heart and I enjoy my WSM a lot more these days.

Back