Red Snnaper Fillets "Anegada" Part 1

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
***Part 2 is now posted below***

I grew up in the Caribbean and my Dad always had a sport fishing boat so since the early age of six I spent summers in the Virgin Islands, mostly in the BVI – British Virgin Islands. This tradition continues to this day and my brother, who now is the sport fishing boat owner, takes us along when we travel down there from Florida.

For us the jewel of the BVI is Anegada Island. Anegada means flooded in Spanish, they named it so centuries ago because it is the only island in the chain that is not volcanic, it is an atoll. When we visit we always stay at the Anegada Reef Hotel. I’ll put it this way: My brother gets to tie his boat to the dock, while everyone else has to use moorings and dinghy in. They know us that well. Boater's call in for reservations days in advance.

It is a wonderful place where dinner is always served outside, on the beach, toes in the sand kind of thing, and everything is cooked using 55-gallon drum grills - six of them. The place is famous for their lobster on the grill. They have a very special way of grilling lobster and fish. They use open tin foil to braise the food in butter, garlic and lime. The open top allows for the smoke to flavor the meat. It is absolutely tender and delicious. One of the grills with lobster:

-DSC_1626-800.jpg

When we’re there we always go “deep drop” fishing. This is very different. We fish for “Yellow Eye” snapper in 600 feet of water using electric reels. Anegada has some of the biggest yellow eyes I have ever seen. We bring back enough for us and of course for the owner of the hotel. Because this technology is not common in the islands and the fish are sooo good, they cook our yellow eyes and also let us pick the biggest lobsters out of the pen, for free. A great arrangement! Here they are in the cooler and after the cook:

yellow_eyes1.jpg

yellow_eyes2-XL.jpg

Well, while in Florida I do the same cook with red snapper fillets. I'm processing the pictures of tonight's cook right now and that will be in part 2. I'll have those up in an hour or so.

All the Best,

Jose

Last edited:
Snapper Fillets "Anegada" - Part 2

This is part two, the Anegada snapper cooked at home. I don't own a 55-gallon drum grill and I'm cooking for two so I used the SJS.

When I cook this way at home I add some things to taste, like capers and white wine. First, we worked on the main side, a rice with a bacon, mushroom and onion base. The bacon complements the smokey flavor of the fish:

i-DCcf6nJ-L.jpg

Then the ingredients that go into the braise sauce. All of that went in the microwave. First melting the butter and the adding the rest of the ingredients. The ramekin contains the white wine. Not in the picture, one half lime was added last after the microwave melt.

i-8Qbvz6h-L.jpg

Then the fish, just sea salt and pepper. Already in their braising containers.
i-44RwqZp-L.jpg

The SJS ready to go with a small chunk of hickory.
i-QwKxbFc-L.jpg

Fish and sauce on the grill.
i-ZcDRxW2-L.jpg

Cover on and smoking.
i-xqtFXN6-L.jpg

Plated.
i-bvCKR9g-L.jpg

Always squeeze fresh lime on the fish after serving. The lime brightens all the different flavors.

The plate was absolutely delicious!!

All the Best,

Jose

Great looking fish...on and off the island!

Lobster looks great, and love seeing people crank good food out of a 55 gal drum!

Back