How much pork butt to feed 40 people???

Jeremy Laux

TVWBB Member
I am sure this topic has been covered but I don't have a lot of time to search for a related thread...

Anyway, I am having a party of 40 people. How much pork butt do I need to feed that many people? And what is the best approach regarding size of port butt...should I got with a few really large butts or should I do more smaller butts with less lbs.?

many thanks in advance!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeremy Laux:
I looked around and saw some posts that say you should buy about 1 pound per guest. Does that seem accurate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I smoked 3 butts totaling 24 lbs. raw for about 25 people, and it was WAY too much. My friends ate a lot too. I would say not more than 30 pounds for 40 people.

I recall seeing past forum that brings the amount down to like 1/2 lb per person with sides.
Don't hold me to that number but I do recall factoring whether you are providing sides.

The worst thing is that you have leftovers that you can eat later.

It all depends on who is making the sammies and how big the rolls are that you will be using. Hamburger buns, kasier rolls or the small party rolls. Use some type of measure, ice cream scoop, etc. Will there be additional meats served, and how many other dishes, sides will be served. Anyway I'd cook 3 nice size (8lb. range) butts for 40. HTH

I recently did a cook for a river party of 30 people, including kids (so the equivalent of about 25 adults). I did 2 7+ pound butts and it was the perfect amount (everyone was to bring a side to share so there were many). Imo, like Bryan said, 3 in the 8# range would be perfect...with some leftovers, and that isn't a bad thing.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jeremy, last weekend I cooked 2 - 8.25# butts for a picnic for 40 adults, no kids. We also served a smoked 14.5# turkey, 3 sides plus munchies. The turkey was gone, and about 3# pulled pork lefover. Hamburger buns were used, but about 1/2 of the people just ate the pork, no bun.

I figure: you lose about 1/2 of the weight of PP in cooking; 6 oz. meat per person, and an average hamburger bun will hold about 4 oz. of meat. You can never have too much pulled pork! Good Luck!!

Hi Jeremy,

Here's a mathematical formula that I, myself, would use for a "typical" group of diners with adequate supporting side dishes. This is for pork butt.

4 ounce serving
1.5 servings per person
40 people
60 percent yield per pork butt
16 ounces per pound

4 x 1.5 x 40 / .60 / 16

4 ounce serving multiplied by 1.5 servings per person multiplied by 40 guests = 240 ounces cooked pork butt

240 ounces divided by .60 yield per pork butt = 400 ounces raw butt

400 ounces raw pork butt divided by 16 ounces per pound = 25 pounds raw pork butt required

There are a lot of variables. However, this would get you in the ballpark and it very much agrees with the replies of Bryan S, Don Cash and B Kaylor

###

Back