Smoked Tri Tip on Weber's Expandable Rack

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I recently picked up Weber's Expandable Smoking Rack. The rack is great, but I'm not too excited about the hangars. They are primarily for fish. I've ordered some meat hooks which will be better for my use. Decided to do a Tri Tip using the rack. Also did some Twice Cooked Potatoes with Wasabi and some grilled Brussel Sprouts with oil and garlic. Earlier in the day I had done a Blackberry Pie on my 14 1/2" WSM. Will do a separate post for that. Here's a few pic's.

I picked up a 3# Tri Tip at Safeway yesterday. It was labeled Rancher's Reserve, which I think is a dressed up name for Select. Anyway, it looked OK. Got it rubbed down with some Cocoa Joe Rub. Among other ingredients, it has cocoa and espresso in it.

While letting the rub do it's think, I put on a couple of bakers for later on. Will do twice baked with them this evening. Potatoes just rubbed down with some OO.

Got the Tri Tip on the hangar as best I could. Didn't seem too secure so I threw in the lower grate as a safety net. It held fine however.

While the roast was cooking, I put together the twice cooked potatoes. Mixed pulp with 3/4 cup sour cream, tsp. of Dijon, 1/2 tsp of Wasabi paste. I usually use Monterey Jack, but was all out, so substituted Swiss. A little salt and pepper to taste. This is a Weber recipe and I did two potatoes rather than four.

Got the sprouts going in my CI baking dish. Just added some OO and about 3 cloves of minced garlic.

After about 3 minutes moved sprouts off direct to indirect and put the potatoes on with them to heat up.

The Tri Tip cooked in rocket speed, even at 225. It was 105 out today. It's supposed to get hot tomorrow!! Pulled it at 140 IT. Let it rest for a while and then sliced.

Side shot, pretty good medium rare. Sorry about the messy cutting board. Should have cleaned it up but we were hot and hungry.

Plate shot.

Final plates.

Everything came out great. The Cocoa Joe Rub was unique and quite different than any I've tried. It had a very strong chocolate/coffee smell which may or may not appeal to you. My wife loved it and I thought it was very good. Sprouts and potatoes tasted great too. Now on to the other post, Blackberry Pie with vanilla ice cream!!

Last edited:
Cliff, your Tri looks OUTSTANDING!!!!

I'm not too excited about the hangars. They are primarily for fish.
is there any way to "modify" the hooks to your use of them?
I recently bought some (not yet received them) ....

That's a great looking cook that TT is perfectly done! Also saw your pie on the other thread and that's just as awesome!

is there any way to "modify" the hooks to your use of them?
I recently bought some (not yet received them) ....

Hey Jim... I'm sure they are fine utilizing them for what they were designed for, fish. I'm not exactly sure how they work as there weren't any real instructions included. I did kind of modify them for my roast. I stuck the little side bars in the roast toward the top and jammed the lower hook into the bottom third of the roast. Had I not done this the roast would have been hanging in the water pan. I'm just looking for a simple S type hook, fairly short. I found them with the help of a couple of board members. Certainly not being critical of Weber. I own just about one of everything they have to offer. The Weber brand is the greatest.

Wow that looks really good! I'm going to do some Tri-Tip shortly hopefully comes out as good as yours!

I'm like you, the Weber hooks are for fish. I much prefer the "S" hooks for bigger stuff. Your Tri Tip looks great!

Back