Finally did the slot mod on my WSM

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
Well , I've been threatening to do this for a while now but since I finally bought my own angle grinder (harbor freight $15.99) I couldn't procrastinate any longer.
d3fee4451b7841a61fd2f0bf041a85db_zps18a5b7c6.jpg

Little painters tape to keep things neat and made a straightish line with a pencil just as a guide.

056e064ff2f7b460b4bf00ef812fcbea_zpsf9b2cdb9.jpg

I used a 1/16th inch wheel but I would suggest a 1/8th inch...I had to widen the slot to accommodate the wire properly....but it cut like buttah !

d165366dd8cd2e70d5a153a361e66faf_zpsda3ae1c9.jpg

Cleaned it up with a littl plumbers sandpaper (80 grit) and voila ! No more cursing the meat probe when I go to take the meat off.

61be3ee1ba25158f78b6e027873dbcd9_zpsab93538d.jpg

It took me a while to do the slot mod as well. I made mine a little wider as I have a thick probe with the thermoworks. But I like it much better and you're right, less fighting with the cables. Wish I had listened and done it sooner

(gotta love Harbor Freight)

I added a port.
It works, but it's a bit of a pain and requires some planning.

THE SLOT is next.

Slot mod is way cool, I ordered the gormet from Weber nearly two weeks ago and they still haven't shipped and they were in stock. Weber needs to understand the word NOW

I added a port.
It works, but it's a bit of a pain and requires some planning.

THE SLOT is next.
i did the grommet when I first got my WSM , but it won't go to waste. Since it's between the racks , I'm going to use it to monitor the temp in the smoker.

I have done the slot on my 18.5" WSM and my Mini-Joe. After I took delivery on the 14.5" WSM, I tried the silicone "thingy", and immediately cut a slot in the new 14.5". It is MUCH easier to use.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

The slot(s) is the best thing I have done. I actually have 2 on the 22.5 - why? Well I keep moving/rearranging my patio and sometimes the OTG is on one side then on the other, this way no matter what side it is on I can put my thermometer there. People worry about losing smoke but I find I get too much smoke anyway and the amount you lose is really minor.

Back