Thermometer Options

Jason Beach

TVWBB Member
First off, this forum has been a great source for inspiration to build one of these mini smokers! For the most part, my build is finished, except installing a thermometer.

My mini has one grate on the steamer lip and a second one 4" below the top of the pot. I don't currently own a digital and would like to install (and rely on) a standard thermometer.

What's the consensus, a 2" stem, or a 4" stem and where would you locate it, considering the cooking grate positions? I'm hoping to get a really good idea of the overall average temp inside the smoker.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Joe, much appreciated! I ended up ordering the therm and bezel that comes on the WSM 18.5. I'm hoping to rely on this, until I can spring for a good digital.

The bottom line is; if using a dial thermometer to cook by, you simply get used to what works, whatever the temp say on the dial, once you figure out what the temp on the dial works for you

However...It's good to have a probe thermometer to determine doneness, and it also serves to check for tenderness

The bottom line is; if using a dial thermometer to cook by, you simply get used to what works, whatever the temp say on the dial, once you figure out what the temp on the dial works for you

However...It's good to have a probe thermometer to determine doneness, and it also serves to check for tenderness

I have been doing it this way for years on my offset, using a dial probe for internal temp and tenderness. I WILL be getting a nice digital in the future, just waiting for a really good deal to pop up.

Back