Need Ideas for Cooking Grate handles

Joe Map

I built my mini last month and have had some fun with it. However, one issue I've run into is how to easily get access to the bottom food grate during the middle of the cook. So far, my ChannelLocks have worked but that is probably going to take a toll on the grate before long.

I've read through lots of threads but most builds only show new grates with no way to access food below.

What does everyone else use?

Thanks,

JoeMap

Look up the thread "Stainless steel u-bolts at lowes". Sorry, I couldn't attach the link on my IPad.

Thanks, Paul. I saw a similar solution on YouTube but didn't know what others here were doing. I think that'll work just fine so off to the hardware store I go.

JoeMap

Joe, this is what I did for my 18, & 22. I will repeat for the mini I am building if I need 2 cooking grates.

Mark

Hey Mark, just came back to this thread and saw your response. I like it. Is the threaded rod blackened from cooking?

I ended up getting stainless u-bolts as was mentioned earlier. I went cheap and only got two, with extra washers and nuts but my washers are not wide enough and were starting to pull through the grates. I'll stop by the hardware store tomorrow and find wider diameter stainless one or buy more u-bolts.

JoeMap

6b98cb7a1d9774d2452d9ce27f27e548_zpsd37cc0ad.jpg

I installed the stainless U-bolts for handles on both my Mini-Joe and my 18.5 WSM. Things are MUCH better now. By the way, Rural King has the best price, by far on the bolts (if you do as I did, you need two sets for each handle as they only come with one attachment bar for each U-bolt).

Those shown are for the 18.5. I got smaller ones for the Mini-Joe.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:

Back