Pulled pork on my gasser

Nate Frost

TVWBB All-Star
Hi folks. I'm new to he forum and just introduced myself on the introduction page. I'm not new to cooking and smoking on my gasser though. I have a genesis platinum that I purchased in 2004 and has work flawlessly since day one. Believe me this thing gets used. Anyways, this past weekend I did my first pulled pork, 15 hour cook, 5 hours of alder smoke, pulled at 191 and FTW for another 45 min or so. Turned out awesome. People always ask how I can smoke on this grill; I just say I'm obsessed with grilling and smoking and will find a way to do it. I do have an original Bradley electric that I use often as well. Now I'm looking for a kettle.

Your right, an addiction. That's why I'm looking for a used kettle. I guess it all started with our now 2 year old twin toddlers. Just can't get out of the house to go for a motorcycle ride anymore. All my time is spent at home so bbq and smoking is now my hobby and I don't have to leave the house.

I'm interested in hearing more about your set up for this cook. Were you running LP or natural gas?

Don, the set up I used on the pulled pork was a first for me and seemed to work the way I wanted. Might need to mod it a little due to my flare up when getting the grill up to temp. I use other smoking methods as well. In a nut shell, I went to Lowe's and bought an adjustable ss master forge heat deflector or vaporizer bar, removed the rear most flavorizer bar on the grill, adjusted to width and set the master forge bar inverted on the lip that the stock bars sit. The master forge bar fit perfect and filled the space between the back of the grill and the next flavorizer bar. I loaded it with dry wood chips and large chunks of wood. It doesn't take long for it to start smoking. Based on my flare up that day and the next day grilling Mahi Mahi, I will probably get another MF bar, drill some holes in it and set it on top of the other. I believe this should reduce the flare up. Anyways, after the flare up I just shut down the back burner and just ran the front. It kept smoking and I even added wood. Oh, and I used 2 large weber drip pans filled with water under the grate and meat. Temp held pretty steady with little adjustment. Probably could have ran hotter based on the amount of time it took for 8 lbs. I even left the house for an couple hours and was the same temp when I returned. I have pics of how I set it up but posting pics seems difficult.

James said it beautifully, very nice indeed.
I especially love your outdoor space, mostly because natural stone around here is rare and very expensive. We have plenty of mud, though!
I admire the way you think outside the box with your grill. Is the foil on the sides and top to help seal it up and force the smoke to exit through the front?

James said it beautifully, very nice indeed.
I especially love your outdoor space, mostly because natural stone around here is rare and very expensive. We have plenty of mud, though!
I admire the way you think outside the box with your grill. Is the foil on the sides and top to help seal it up and force the smoke to exit through the front?

Thanks. This was first try using this set up to smoke. I've done the foil smoke bombs, smoker pucks and even a cast iron pan with wood sitting on the flavor bars. Just wanted to see if a different method could be used without having to continually add wood. The foil was to try to direct the smoke and to contain a little more heat. I ended up just taking out the piece at the back of the lid because it kept falling out. I've been thinking about using a wood stove gasket but it's hard for me to glue something to my bbq.

Back