Therm Port for Pre-2014 WSM

Joe F

TVWBB Pro
I wanted to add a therm cable port on my '99 WSM and decided I would use Weber's location on the 2014.
It's 3-1/2" triangulated from the two adjacent grill strap bolts.
I also wanted something smaller than the OEM port so I could avoid drilling a large hole.
The smallest hole that the Maverick cables can enter is a 1/4" I.D. grommet.

High temp grommet rated for 500F
walnjl.jpg

Measuring the grommet
5zfitl.jpg

Measuring the Unibit and marking the step above selected cutter
2zrglm1.jpg

2014 therm port location
ixqn8i.jpg

Hole is finished and ready for some paint touch up
The Unibit cuts a clean hole. An 1/8" standard high speed bit was used for a pilot hole.
29fz4oy.jpg

Grommet installed
mc3eoh.jpg

Maverick food probe inserted and grate probe going in beside.
It's a snug fit but not severe as the second probe goes in.
2d6r0oi.jpg

Someday I may opt for the "notch" (above) but this port will always be useful to gain access to the lower grate.

For comparison, here's the 2014...
350x700px-LL-2b62ec82_image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work! Can you detail your paint process?
Nothing very scientific...
Just some Rustoleum 500F engine paint sprayed into a cup and then swirled onto the cut with a hobby (artist) brush.
It's an oily environment in a WSM so I'm not worried too much about rust for this mod.
Unless you were near salt water you could dab on some cooking oil, insert the grommet and forget about it.
PM me if you want a grommet and I'll pop one in the mail to you.... I had to buy 10.

Last edited:
Just some Rustoleum 500F engine paint sprayed into a cup and then swirled onto the cut with a hobby (artist) brush.
It's an oily environment in a WSM so I'm not worried too much about rust for this mod.
Unless you were near salt water you could dab on some cooking oil, insert the grommet and forget about it.
PM me if you want a grommet and I'll pop one in the mail to you.... I had to buy 10.

Joe, received the grommet yesterday! Thanks again! I'll post pictures post-mod!

I went with a set of these:

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Probe Eyelet Assembly

I bought them way back but the maverick probes with the crimped end would not fit through. My new stoker probes fit through fine (only one fits per eyelet but I haven't tried too hard to cram two in either).

Its a nice no drill option for those of you who are wary of putting holes in the enamel like I was.
Yep, I was aware of those, but the Mav incompatibility made them a non-starter for me.

On drilling through the porcelain...use the correct tools and you're golden.

Grommet

I could use three of the grommets we have two smokers going now.
How much are they and how do you ship?
I struggle to get enough heat in the winter, do you have a good source for extra vents?

I struggle to get enough heat in the winter, do you have a good source for extra vents?
I'm actually not selling the grommets and my supply is running low, as I've given several away.

Try contacting McMaster Carr with the part number that I've shown above.
eReplacement Parts is where I got my 3-hole vents.
Suggest making a cardboard template and drilling very accurately for best results in adding vents.

Lee, welcome to the forum. Instead of adding a vent, try propping your door open a bit. Some people turn the door over and prop it open a little upside down. Either way, you will get your temp up. Also you might look into a insulating blanket. Some people use them on here with good results. These two ways might be easier then adding vents. Good Luck!

(sorry for the hijacked thread)

Back