Quick Connect Issues

JonathanA

Hello all,

I am in the process of having a plumber pipe in a gas line to my deck in the back yard. I plan on putting an EP-330 NG back there.

Here's the confusion. When I had the plumber come for an estimate, I printed off the user manual to show him the specs and what parts I would need. I got the manual's copy from Home Depot's website - I used the S-330's manual. However, when going to Weber's website and selecting the model, the language is different. Here's what is holding me up:

The quick disconnect connects to a 1/2" NPT thread from the gas source. (via Home Depot)
The quick disconnect connects to a 3/8" NPT thread from the gas source. (via Weber)

After looking more at Weber's manuals on their website, it looks like the 1/2" was for 330's made between 2010-2012 and Home Depot's manual on file must be for those models, and the 330 for 2013 says 3/8".

So as you can see, I'm pretty confused. Are they talking about the pipe nipple or the actual quick-connect socket? What pieces should I tell the plumber that he'll need? Or does this not matter because the piece in question will come with the grill?

Thanks for the help!

2011 is when they changed to 1/2 inch. Prior to that they were 3/8ths. That's the size of thread at the end of pipe the plumber installs. The size of the quick disconnect dos not matter since both sides come with the grill. I can't imagine Weber changing back to 3/8ths in 2013, that does not sound right.

You can always call Weber and ask them.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, it didn't sound right. But here are the literature kits via Weber's website. The language I'm referring to is on page 7:
2011-12

What doesn't make sense to me is both manuals say they use a 1/2" nipple and 1/2" hose. Why would they step it down to 3/8" only to then go into a 1/2" hose?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, it didn't sound right. But here are the literature kits via Weber's website. The language I'm referring to is on page 7:
2011-12

What doesn't make sense to me is both manuals say they use a 1/2" nipple and 1/2" hose. Why would they step it down to 3/8" only to then go into a 1/2" hose?

I bought the EP-330 NG last November (great grill btw) and it does step down to 3/8" and back to a 1/2" hose. I really don't know why, but it does.

I plumbed 1/2" gas pipe and stepped down to 3/8". The quick connect from Weber has the male and female - the male attaches to a 3/8" nipple gas out. Make sure your plumber installs a shut off valve on the pipe out of the house as well.

I bought the EP-330 NG last November (great grill btw) and it does step down to 3/8" and back to a 1/2" hose. I really don't know why, but it does.

I plumbed 1/2" gas pipe and stepped down to 3/8". The quick connect from Weber has the male and female - the male attaches to a 3/8" nipple gas out. Make sure your plumber installs a shut off valve on the pipe out of the house as well.

Thanks! That clears it up then.

But to make sure I have everything clear, which of the following parts come included with the grill? Parts 1 & 6 is the hose and its male end, correct? Obviously the shutoff isn't included, but is the nipple (4) or the actual house-side quick connect socket (5)?
Weber.png

Hi Jonathon; I agree that Weber should make it a little easier to understand! Parts 1,2, 5 & 6 will come with your grill.

The nipple and shut off valve are not a part of the package. FWIW, I installed my shut off valve about a foot or so down the line from the connection.

Hey guys,

I'm still a bit new to everything piping, so bear with me here. I need one more small bit of help with this.

I really want to put a gas plug outlet box outside just to make things look a bit nicer out there. Now since the plumber will use 1/2" CSST, I know I need a box with a 1/2" inlet. But do I also need one with a 1/2" outlet or can I use a 3/8" outlet since the Genesis now steps down to a 3/8" with the nipple anyway?

I guess I'm hoping for the 3/8" outlet version like this one since it's half the price of this one.

Why not keep everything 1/2" and then just step down at the appliance ?

Bigger is better IMO....step down as needed.

Hi Jonathon; the quick connect is a step down to 3/8", but it goes back up to 1/2" hose to the Genesis. That cover and valve look great! Can you look at one of them at a plumber supply house in your area to see if that first one would work for you?

AFAIK, Spirit and Genesis grills require a 3/8" NPT male connection at the house. Summits require a 1/2" NPT male connection at the house.

The EP-330 in max operation is only pulling about 42,000 BTU's, while a Summit 670 can pull up to 73,000 BTU's.

Thank you everyone for the help!

So as we've determined - the 2013 model Genesis steps down to a 3/8", then back up to a 1/2" hose. Now the question is, is the male connection on the hose that goes into my gas plug outlet that I referenced earlier a 1/2" or 3/8"? As someone said in my thread, it doesn't matter the size of the actual quick-connects because Weber supplies both ends - but it does matter for me since the coupler is already installed on the outlet of that gas plug. So do I need a gas plug outlet box with a 1/2" outlet, or 3/8" outlet?

I sent Weber the question via email earlier this morning, so I hope to get a definitive answer from them soon.

Thank you so much!
Jonathan

Back