Genesis Gold C, the best I can tell

GGross

TVWBB Pro
After scanning over the Weber Site I think I have a Genesis Gold C Mica model, looks like maybe 2001 model year. I just bought off CL, burners are in good shape re-placing fb's and grates with SS from RiversEdge purchased through Amazon

Last edited:
A6910F17-AA6B-455E-A35C-31C34D67B8FF_zpsp5m3k5oz.jpg

Damn you have a nice find there. It is basically a Genesis on the Summit (MUCH better built) frame

Thanks for the info Chad, I did some further investigation and while I don't have the serial number (it's worn off) I do have the model number which indicates the Gold Series, looking at the schematics and comparing the Platinum to the Gold it's hard to tell what the difference between the 2 models might have been. It looks like the Platinum had a different left side shelf and maybe the Platinum was SS compared with the Porcelain top on mine. When I got the Gold it had CI grates and wore out FB's so they must not have been SS but also may not have been the original equipment.

I got it for $50, cleaned it up and replaced grates and FB's with SS, so I'm about $160 in on this setup.

If it was a Gold C the lid would be stainless steel. The Gold also came with stainless steel grates when new. Cast iron grates were on the models that were
priced below the Golds.

RiversEdge is the manufacturer, purchased through Amazon. Cost much less than Weber and suppose to be better grade, 16 gauge compared to Weber 18 guage.

Weber's Genesis grates are not 18 gauge. They are 7 or 8 MM and for the Summit they are 9 MM (basically 3/8"). Now the Weber stamped SS grates MAY be 18 gauge but that measurement is an entirely different animal than wire diameter

I also re-checked grates and they are 1/4" wire SS from RiversEdge, so maybe a tad bit smaller than the Summit grade grates, however at the time I was comparing to the Weber replacement grates which are not wire for that particular grill are they? Doesn't Weber now have wire grates for Summit but they also have a non-wire configuration for older grills? The grates are like a "U" shaped but not wire?

Sorry if I have incorrect information but appreciate the input.

Yeah, hate to burst your bubble but those are not as well made as the OEM Weber or what RCPlanebuyer makes. Sorry. In the end you may end up disapointed in that Weber just because of the inferior grates

I couldn't find RCplanebuyer grates, only favorier bars can u direct me to the grates from RCplanebuyer. They ones I have look to be very good quality what would make them seem inferior? 1/4 inch wire diameter or grade of SS ? Thanks for input

With RCplane buyer contact him and give him the measurements. He builds those to order. His are like the Summit grates. So 9mm 304 SS rod.

Thanks, I did get in touch with RCplane buyer and now better understand exactly what I have. The RiversEdge is 1/4" SS (7mm) $65 compared to the Summit grade 3/8" (9mm) from rcplane at $145. Now I have to decide whether to return or sell the RiversEdge and spend another additional $80. At least I didn't get the RiversEdge "Standard Duty" 3/16" wire and do have the HD or heavy duty 1/4" SS wire, so they may perform alright.

Man, do I "now" know I lot more about these grates things for all the info.

Last edited:

Back