Watching paint dry on my Mini

Phil S

TVWBB Super Fan
After 4 weeks of watching the paint dry on my mini, it was finally time to cure it as directed on the can. (I rushed the first coat and the second coat lifted so I had to sand it down and start over)

I could have put it in the oven for an hour as directed but that sounded rather boring. The only logical thing to do was fire it up and let it run for a while.

Piggy.jpg

As long as I had a fire going, it seemed kind of silly to run it empty so in went my first try of "Western Style Beef Ribs"

2hours.jpg

I have no idea why I waited so long to build one of these. The temperature settled in and sat rock solid at 250 for 4 hours and there was plenty of charcoal left. I can't keep my WSM that steady due to sloppy vents and air leakage elsewhere. The vent handle extensions worked like a charm. I'm thinking I need to add one to my kettle.

The only problem was the build up of ash in the bottom. I used the hole-punched tuna can to keep the vent clear and it did the job but the rest of the bowl was filled to the underside of the grate. I used Kingsford Blue but I'm either going to have to switch to a different charcoal or remove the pan and just knock the ashes through the vent on a regular basis.

The Beef didn't turn out so well but that was in no way the fault of the Mini.

Thanks to everybody for all the information!

Back