Brown sugar and my rub.....

Allen Fraley

TVWBB Member
I have mixed up a rub that was created by someone named Jake Jacobs who's recipe is recorded in a book I have. All the spices really smells good together, but I'm afraid if I try and mix them with the brown sugar, I'm going to have a messy glob of stuff I can't use. The receipt called for 'Packed' brown sugar. I got regular brown sugar which seems to have moisture into it. Is 'Packed' sugar dryer?
Anyway, any suggestions how to apply this mixture to my 4 butts I'm gonna smoke tomorrow?

Here is the receipt.

1 1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar.
1/4 cup course salt
1/2 cup paprika
3 tbsp dried parsley
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp dried thyme
2 tbsp dried onion flakes
1 1/2 tbsp dried worcestershire sauce (couldn't find this)
1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Am I gonna have problems when I mix this stuff with the brown sugar?
Currently I have the sugar in a separate bowl, hoping it may dry a little....:)

Packed brown sugar means that you "Pack" in the measuring cup, not just scoop it out. Brown sugar has molasses in it and that makes it moist, when you combine it with all the other "dry" spices it combines nicely.

Tim

"Packed" just means how it is to be measured.
Not "loose" in the measuring cup, "packed" into the measuring cup.

Just a more reliable way to measure brown sugar.

Mix up your rub, put it in a Zip Lock bag with all the air burped out and don't worry about it.
I store mine in the pantry.

Edit ^^^ :

Great minds think alike....Local 156....pickin' slivers for a loooong time.

Last edited:
Also the thing about using a ziplock bag is that if it starts to clumps, just use a rolling pin on the bag and the clumps break apart

I hate clumps of sugar in my rubs. If you dry brown sugar in the oven for a few minutes you can mix it more easily.

I dry brown sugar by just spreading it out on a baking sheet and letting it sit out overnight. But only do this if it not humid.

I eliminated my brown sugar problem. Once all dry rub the ingredients are combined, I dump it in a blender. Works with fresh moist brown sugar or dried. No clumping, no chunks, and the rub becomes more of a powder that really sticks well to the meat. Also any herbs like rosemary or oregano are chopped up and blended evenly.

I eliminated my brown sugar problem. Once all dry rub the ingredients are combined, I dump it in a blender. Works with fresh moist brown sugar or dried. No clumping, no chunks, and the rub becomes more of a powder that really sticks well to the meat. Also any herbs like rosemary or oregano are chopped up and blended evenly.

That's the way I do! It works well because brown sugars become a powder and any problem vanish!

Allen,

You can dry the brown sugar out and then use a trick to keep it dry. Measure your BS (pack it tight to get the right amount) then spread the sugar out as thinly and evenly as possible on a sheet pan and place it in a very low oven (<200). Allow it to dry thoroughly while stirring it around every few minutes. Once it is dry, let it cool in the oven and then mix it with your other spices. Put the spice mix in a resealable shaker bottle (I save old large spice bottles - like the ones from Sam's for this purpose). Mix in 2 or 3 TBS of popcorn (make sure the shaker top will not let the popcorn out). Every time you use the rub, shake it to distribute the popcorn and reseal it tightly. Popcorn is a great desiccant (even better than rice) and will keep the rub mixture dry and prevent clumping.

Regards,

John

Allen,

You can dry the brown sugar out and then use a trick to keep it dry. Measure your BS (pack it tight to get the right amount) then spread the sugar out as thinly and evenly as possible on a sheet pan and place it in a very low oven (<200). Allow it to dry thoroughly while stirring it around every few minutes. Once it is dry, let it cool in the oven and then mix it with your other spices. Put the spice mix in a resealable shaker bottle (I save old large spice bottles - like the ones from Sam's for this purpose). Mix in 2 or 3 TBS of popcorn (make sure the shaker top will not let the popcorn out). Every time you use the rub, shake it to distribute the popcorn and reseal it tightly. Popcorn is a great desiccant (even better than rice) and will keep the rub mixture dry and prevent clumping.

Regards,

John

Thanks John - I will try that.

Allen,

Regards,

John

Amazon has Worcestershire Powder

Thanks guys!

Back