This "Ain't your mother's meatloaf"...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
About a year ago, I picked up a copy of "The Plank Grilling Cookbook" by Dina Guillen and friends. I found it quite useful. If fact, I can recommend it. There is ONE caveat, tho'. It is written from the prospective of a gas grill. Once you get past that, you'll find it works just as well with a Weber charcoal grill.

One of my favorite recipes from the book is the "Meatloaf on a Plank" (page 27-29). This is NOT your mother's meatloaf. It requires a bit of preparation but I guarantee that it is well worth it. If anyone is interested in the recipe, write me a Private Message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

The vegetables are chopped up and cooked before hand to reduce the excess moisture in the meatloaf. The recipe calls for beef, pork, and veal. We just use half and half beef and pork. You pre-heat the plank for a couple of minutes (on the food side) after dumping a full chimney of lit in the grill - spread it evenly and reduce the vents to half open. I remove the heated planks from the grill, place in a sheet tray to protect the table and the meat is spooned onto the plank(s). In this particular case I have a group coming and we needed two recipes (hence the two planks). After the meat loaves are formed (easy to do) then you spoon the home cooked Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce onto the top, spreading it equally over the meat loaf. Then place the planks back on the grill, put on the lid, and cook. You want to see light smoke coming from the top vent. No smoke - not hot enough. Heavy smoke - too hot (you don't want to set the planks on fire). If you have done salmon on a plank the cooking method is quite similar. The planks are soaked in water a couple of hours before the cook.

Total cook time runs about one hour and ten minutes.

Half hour into the cook:

Finished and off the grill:

Now there is a piece of meatloaf heaven:

Don't forget, if you want to do this yourself, send me your email address by private message and I'll send the full recipe by return mail.

NOTE: My loving wife did all of the food prep for this cook (we are PARTNERS doncha know;))...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
The gentle smoke from the cedar plank infuses the meatloaf and it stays moist. A great way to grill, IMHO...

Keep on smokin',

planked meatloaf .... what will they think of next ... looks fantastic!

Last edited:
We have folks visiting from Utah and had the meatloaf. It was a hit!

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I appreciate it!

Keep on smokin',

I like the plank idea I never t hought of that before. Y look ur color is impressive and the crust is just the way I would like mine to come out.
Kevin

Planks can be a bit expensive. However, you can buy a cedar plank at the lumber yard and make your own (get 1x6 and cut the length you prefer). The actual thickness of a "1 inch" board is about 3/4" and will last for several cooks.

NOTE: Be SURE and get untreated lumber for your planks (arsenic is often used in treated lumber and I don't believe that would be good for your digestion - at least not twice...)

Me, I picked up several bundles of grilling planks at the end of spring last year at Costco when they are clearing them out for the next "Hot" item. They were only about a 1/3rd as much as normal. Keep a look out.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',

Jerry C;
I don't use a thermometer when cooking on a plank. I adjust the heat to just below the temperature that the plank ignites, for maximum smoke. It only takes a couple of times to get it right, then you can do it on demand.

Basically, with my Performer, I dump a full lit chimney of new coals, spread them evenly on the charcoal grate, then adjust the air intake to close the bottom damper down no more than 25%. YMMV

I always pre-heat the food side of the plank about two minutes (this sterilizes the plank and pre-heat's the surface).

If I don't have enough smoke, I open the vents a bit (I always leave the top vent all the way open when using a plank).
I WANT a steady stream of smoke off the plank. I do NOT want to set the plank on fire.

Keep on smokin',

Jerry C;
One thing I might mention. I am a Big fan of a good digital thermometer. I religiously rely on the internal meat temperature with ground meat of all kinds. I check the temperature in several places before I remove the meatloaf (to both insure it is safely cooked and to insure against overcooking).

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

Back