Beef Shoulder Tenderloin?

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
My father-in-law gave us what he called a "beef shoulder tenderloin" that was given to him by the landowner where he was recently fishing. New to me. Anyone ever seen this cut?

Seasoned with a rosemary, garlic and gray salt rub.

A pretty hot reverse sear right against the fire to save some time...weeknight, homework, bath time, yada yada...

My grilling buddy, Lucy.

In her usual spot when the grill is going.

After it hit ~110ish it went direct to sear.

Off at ~135 to rest.

Plated with some mushroom and crumbled parm farro.

Very good!
Thanks for looking.

Don, this is a freaky coincidence…the pics you posted totally look a lot like a cut of beef I tried for the first time this past weekend, while visiting my in-laws, of all things. I dropped by an old school butcher shop and they were selling steaks under the anatomical name of Teres Major. I did a little research and found this...

http://grillinfools.com/blog/2011/12/13/teres-major-steak-outstanding-and-cheap/

I had to try it, so I bought a few and grilled them with just salt and pepper. Sliced against the grain, it was quite tender and very beefy.

I tried these the one and only time last summer under the name of petite tenders. They were very good, somewhat similar to hanger steak. It was the only time because the butcher shop I got them at never has them when I ask. And I've asked often. It's funny, but I remembered that they really plumped up when I grilled them and from your photos it looks like yours did too. I'm going to keep looking.

Pete

Never heard of it but it looks like you nailed it. Lucy is beautiful. Love the pic of her licking her lips while standing guard.

Never heard of it either but it sure does look good! Sure do miss seeing your cooks on a regular basis. Hope you and your family is doing well!!

Nice to see ya up and cooking Don...love that pic of Lucy perched and licking her chops!!

Looks tasty!!

I've not had one off of a cow, but I always take them from the deer I shoot. We eat them the same way as the other prime cuts, and I've cooked them with the tenderloins, in the same meal, and I may actually prefer the ones from the hind quarter!

Back