First attempt at smoked duck

NealT

TVWBB Member
Never tried smoking a duck before, Found a 5lb duck at Costco so I tried a slightly modified version of (http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47449-Maple-Orange-Duck)

For the glaze, I simmered and reduced the sauce by ~1/2 (10 minutes) so it reduced to about 1/2 cup.

I cross-hatched the skin to allow fat to render out.

Used 3pcs of cherry wood + 1pc of hickory. Smoking temperature was about 275degF (spiked to about 335F for a short time).

Cooked to internal temp of about 165degF (took about 4-1/2 hours; 5pm-9:30pm). I just read in the original thread that the temp was 175F, but because it was getting late I pulled it at 165F.

The meat was kinda tough and the skin rubbery. Is that because the duck was pulled too early?

Is it possible to crisp up the skin or further render the fat by reheating in the oven at 500degF for 15 minutes?

Any other tips for the future?

I don't see what it would hurt if you wanted crispy skin to put in oven a few minutes...maybe under the broiler but keep the rack a couple or 3 positions down and keep an eye on it since Duck is usually super greasy. Looks good I've never cooked Duck. Just had it once or twice along with a goose or two.

I have found for my rotisserie duck cooks I needed to be low and slow for a period to render the fat. But once that fowl starts nearing almost done I open all vents and get that temp up in the mid 300's to crisp the outer duck. I have also had it when I did not do it soon enough and I moved the coal baskets directly under the bird and let it rip like that. It came out good like that.

I used my WSM. The wifey liked it, but I tend to be more critical about how my food turns out.

The potatoes in the duck fat turned out good :)

I cook hunt and cook quite a bit of duck during the hunting season using my WSM 18.5. I have found that the KEY to successfully cooking a duck is to brine it for 24 hrs. prior to smoking. Duck has a very low fat content on it and must be brined to assure the meat stays moist. Also, I smoke it with applewood for 21/2 and no more than 3 hours. Looks great for your first time!

Also, if you want to get the skin crispy heat your grill up to 500-600 degrees and sear the skin until crispy...it works!

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I definitely need to sear/crisp up the skin. It was too rubbery for my tastes.

Might try brining next time, WPhipps. It was my first experience cooking a duck so that might keep it moist.

One of my favorite things to order when I eat out!! I need to try cooking one soon. Looks like you did really well on your first attempt!! I'd dig into that in a second!!!

Back