New England Clam Chowder

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
Clam Chowder
Serves:
A large family, with leftovers to spare…

Ingredients:
1 Slab of Bacon
1 Large Vidalia Onion (or other sweet variety) - Chopped
½ cups Flour (give or take….if making gluten free, I find that rice flour works best)
5 Cans of chopped or minced clams (I use Snow’s)
5 Bottles of Clam Juice (they are usually right next to the canned clams in the store)
5 Red Potatoes (use less for a larger variety of potato) – Diced
2 Bay Leaves
1 Pint Light Cream
Pepper and Parsley to taste

Chop half of the bacon into small pieces; leaving the other half in strips. Place in a dutch oven over medium high heat and cook until about ¾ done. Add the onion and cook until bacon is crispy and onions begin to caramelize. Remove the large strips of bacon, but leave the small pieces in the pan (you can set aside the bacon strips and crumple it into bacon bits…a good topping on the chowder or an accompanying salad…or a fine snack while you cook!).

Add the flour until it forms a bubbly paste (if you add too much flour, just add a little butter to loosen it up…it is not a bad idea to add too much flour so you can add some butter…).

Add canned clams, clam juice, potatoes and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium. Heat until it boils for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add light cream and bring back to a boil stirring frequently.

Remove from heat and serve adding black pepper and parsley to taste. For best results, place in refrigerator overnight and slowly bring back up to a boil in a slow cooker the next day (be careful not to burn the cream by reheating too quickly and/or not stirring…you should probably fish out the bay leaves at some point too…).

Next time I do bacon in chowder (maybe this recipe!) I think I'll "overcook" it (the bacon)....thats a fine line though...

Back