Rotisserie Question

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious, when one is doing a cook with their rotisserie, how are you checking the meat temp? Assuming you can't really keep a Maverick probe stuck in the meat while that bad boy is spinning, so do you just stop it and come check temps periodically?

Yep. I have an idea how long I'm going to be cooking and when it starts getting close to that I'll peak. If it looks good I'll stop it and take the temp. The thermopens are fast enough to do a spot check without stopping the rotisserie

Yep. I have an idea how long I'm going to be cooking and when it starts getting close to that I'll peak. If it looks good I'll stop it and take the temp. The thermopens are fast enough to do a spot check without stopping the rotisserie

I love my Thermapen for that purpose. Also keep in mind the rotisserie shaft itself will assist with cooking. Because it conducts heat you have to take that into consideration when placing your probe. Really stopping the roti for a minute or so is no great deal.
If you have wood on it might ignite with the airflow so once the lid goes back on make sure you snuff it out (close down) for a few seconds and resume with your settings.

there are setups that work with a remote. been working on mine for at least 3 years !
right now I estimate the time and then start checking periodically

Thanks guys. Think I'll be getting a rotiss for Christmas and suddenly wondered about that whole thermometer thing.

if you have a collar just file a rounf groove on one side so the wire can go through. then wire or whatever the sender to the handle.

if you have a collar just file a rounf groove on one side so the wire can go through. then wire or whatever the sender to the handle.

HA-- you have me mistaken for a handy person. ;-)

I'm planning to get the Maverick if I wind up getting the 'Tisserie for Christmas.

someone should invent an injectable cordless/wireless probe...

just stick it in the meat, close the grill and the internal temps read out on the remote.

would work great as your chicken spins in the rotisserie.

someone should invent an injectable cordless/wireless probe...

just stick it in the meat, close the grill and the internal temps read out on the remote.

would work great as your chicken spins in the rotisserie.

i bet someone is working on that.....I would guess the big holdup is making it affordable for the common cook. You could insulate the electronics from the heat , but at what cost ?

I also use the stop and check method, with Thermapen.

I might get one of the thermos made for a rotisserie if the price were a good bit lower. But the Thermapen works well for me.

My wife is awesome and got the Weber rotisserie for me! Have a question...

11541068654_8068a9e295_z.jpg

This came with it, but I don't see it listed at all in the manual or the parts list. I assume it's a counter-weight? Where do I put it?

Here's how to use the counterweight:

• Load the meat on the spit and place it into the notches of the ring, not engaging the motor. The uneven weight of the meat will cause the spit to rotate and settle with the heavy side facing down.
  • Unscrew the end of the spit handle. Place the counterweight's handle over the screw with the weighted end pointing straight up.
  • Retighten the end of the spit handle.

But if you load meat evenly on the spit, you don't need to counterweight anything.

Mike Vrobel has a nice piece about this on his blog: Using A Counterweight

Thanks Chris! I've got to take some time this weekend to poke around Mike's site some more, looks pretty helpful.

Anybody know of a place I can purchase 'extras' for my new Weber rotisserie?

Example, I have seen photos of basket holders on a rotisserie, and could see getting use out of something like that. Just unsure if certain brands will/won't fit onto my Weber product.

Back