Duck & Andouille Sausage Gumbo!

Pat Romero

TVWBB Super Fan
Can't get duck any fresher than this ... From the woods to the Weber!

Cleaned the ducks & seasoned with EVOO & Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. I threw in some chicken drumsticks for my wife who's not particularly a duck lover

Here's the ducks & drumsticks on the OTG. Cooked indirect for around 90 min @ ~315 degrees using about 3 apple wood chunks.

Next, I let the andouille sausage & some fresh pork sausage get a little direct heat ...

Sauteed some onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic & Rotele tomatoes in butter in my CI skillet

Here's the meat all deboned & ready for the Gumbo Pot

All the spices & flavors coming together nicely ...

And here's the finished product with a little rice & some potato salad ...

Thanks for checking it out! :cool:

Last edited:
Fanfreakintastic..... Pat awesome spread.... Just have to love getting your own mean and then cooking it. Its so primal, Just had me some venison chops tonight.

Pat I want some!! This looks like a party dude!
null_zpsd6c523dd.jpg

Man that all looks spectacular!! Nice work!

Terrific cook Pat!
hen and drake woodies, and a hen mallard?

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! Some of the family came by & put a hit on the pot, but I kept some leftovers for the freezer to heat up on a cold night!

Bob - it was a woodie drake, mallard hen & scaup hen. We need some more cold weather to push some ducks down the Mississippi Flyway!

Last edited:
I'd be happy with just the smoked duck, but putting it into gumbo must take it to a whole new level. I can only imagine how well the smokiness of the duck compliments the flavor of a nice dark roux. Awesome post, Pat.

Pat, I agree that there is nothing like fresh duck for the gumbo. Nice job on the duck hunt and gumbo. I have never smoked a duck before, but it is definitely on my "to smoke" list.

Back