Turkey Cook Time Question

Bob Mann

TVWBB Honor Circle
I am smoking my first turkey tomorrow. I've read a bunch of posts here on the subject. It is a 12 1/2 pound bird. I am going to cook it in my 22 1/2" WSM at 325-350F. My understanding is it will take about 3 hours to cook.
Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

That sounds about right, but use your meat thermometer for the final word. Which smoke wood will you be using?

I assume to get those type of temps you dont use water in the pan? Or, are all vents pratically closed?
Any reason a turkey isnt smoked at a lower temp?

I am going to try one as well but will start with a breast first.

Sorry to high jack. I figured it would add to the discussion :)

Turkey is naturally tender, and a brined or injected turkey is plenty moist, so there is no advantage to cooking turkey low & slow from those perspectives. One reason to cook low & slow is if you want to subject the turkey to more smoke over a longer period of time. My personal preference is a light smoke flavor, nothing overpowering, so letting the smoke kiss the turkey for just a couple of hours at 350*F works for me. :)

That sounds about right, but use your meat thermometer for the final word. Which smoke wood will you be using?
I'm definatly going to cook to IT, I want to get a general time frame for planning purposes.

I am going to use apple wood.

I assume to get those type of temps you dont use water in the pan? Or, are all vents pratically closed?
Any reason a turkey isnt smoked at a lower temp?

I am going to try one as well but will start with a breast first.

Sorry to high jack. I figured it would add to the discussion :)
I don't use water, I just foil the water pan.

I am cooking at a higher temperature because of my experiences with chicken, higher cooking temps give a better finished product.

OK, it's been brining for about 12 hours now, it's going to go on the WSM in about two hours, wish me luck!

It helps the skin crisp if you let the bird dry for at lease a couple of hours ( 12 is preferable) before it goes on the smoker.

Good luck

general rule 15 minutes per pound at 350, so a 12.5 pounder should go about 3 and a half hours, just check for a 170 temp in thigh to confirm done.

Back