First Ribs on my Mini-Joe

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Today, I loaded up the Mini-Joe with six half racks of St. Louis Cut Ribs with the help of two Brinkman Rib Racks.

I picked up a new bean can for my mini "Tin Can Minion" start. This one is a 14.5 oz can of green beans from the local super market. I placed it in the center of my charcoal basket.

I loaded up the charcoal basket with Kingsford Original and a few pieces of apple wood.

I dropped a Weber lighting cube in my IKEA silverware caddy and placed six or eight briquettes on top of the lit cube:

I then dumped them into the empty can and pulled it from the pile of charcoal:

"Houston, we have a launch!"

Here's a finished rib on the plate. Lots of moisture, tenderness, and flat out goodness (using Harry Soo's recipe and method) - nice smoke ring, also:

Here is the charcoal leftover after I shut it down. Looks like another hour or so available should I have needed it.

All in all, I am a VERY happy camper! The ribs were some of the best I have ever cooked. The Mini-Joe held temps very well. It works just a bit different than my WSM, but nothing that will take more than a bit more experience. It is a DANDY piece of gear just like everyone has been raving about for the last several years.

Thanks for listening!
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks for the kind words, fellows and gals. I surely enjoyed using the new piece of gear! I would encourage anyone thinking of building the conversion, to JUMP IN! The water's FINE!!

you said the coals could have gone another hour. how long did you have the ribs on ? I see a maverick, any idea of the temps for the cook. The ribs looks really good, something I'd like to try an emulate so the more info the better. thanks

The ribs took about 4.0 hours at 275 degrees. You can get Harry Soo's recipe from his PDF on this web site. Harry definitely has his act together.

Regarding the coals, I SHOULD have said, "At LEAST another hour" - they may have gone longer...

One thing a bit different from my experience with the WSM - I always catch the temperature as it goes up, partially (mostly) closing the bottom vents at 200 degrees, to reach my target temp for ribs at 275 degrees. However, with the Mini, I noticed that it reacts more quickly to changes. Next time, I'll wait until the mini gets to target temperature before partially closing the bottom vents. Just a minor thing, but may help you shorten the learning curve using the mini as opposed to the WSM.

Just a thought or two...

I must look into making one of those as I need to light up the 22.5 everytime I want to smoke, and your results look exceptional.

Back