Aging Individual Steaks and other Pleasures

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So I told you Guy's that the next time I did the aged steak at home thing I would document it.

So here we go
Choice Rib Eyes on sale purchased last Friday at Costco

DSC_0584_zps88651255.jpg

Wrapped in paper towels and put in the fridge, bottom (coldest) shelf, on a elevated cookie rack in a sheet pan

DSC_0585_zps7832bbaf.jpg

DSC_0592_zpsdad97de0.jpg

After one day, change out paper towels this is how they look, paper is pretty red

DSC_0585_zps7ebf70e0.jpg

Day 3

DSC_0591_zps4995df84.jpg

Day 5

DSC_0588_zpscd4010e1.jpg

Meat is dramatically changing, meat is changing appearance and the physical weight is dropping as the moisture leaves the meat concentrating the flavor

DSC_0589_zps25ca5cd5.jpg

Day 7, normally I pull them at this time but one more day is needed this time family get together wise. Also I should state these steaks are a little thinner than I normally try to buy, but the price was to good to pass up. Thicker steaks come out even nicer.

DSC_0587_zps1edd671f.jpg

On the 8th Day I looked and said it is good to go, trimmed back to good white fat and any extra dry slivers off. Now it is to sit at room temp for about half an hour with a good coat of kosher and Fresh Ground on both sides

DSC_0587_zpsec06a445.jpg

DSC_0588_zps3796cd99.jpg

After sitting for awhile the reason for the heavy salting becomes apparent as you can see the salt pulling little bead of moisture from the meat. These beads are laden with proteins and are what give you a nice caramelized flavor

DSC_0593_zpse34793f1.jpg

All the other suspects lined up

DSC_0589_zpsda318962.jpg

Into the CI on the Genesis with some EVOO salt and pepper

DSC_0590_zps1e4e0b0d.jpg

Baked Potatoes on for about 30 minutes and the sear grate is all ready

DSC_0594_zps9153e748.jpg

A little nourishment for the cook

DSC_0595_zps79af3099.jpg

The CEO made some home made rosemary and garlic quick bread

DSC_0599_zpsca3088df.jpg

Came out pretty good, just the way I like it

DSC_0600_zpsb2de5709.jpg

Your plate with a nice red wine, enjoy

DSC_0601_zpsec72e417.jpg

Last edited:
Bill as always, a great cook and the 'education" was greatly appreciated too.

PS - Try their Flipside Red IPA. My son brought home a few bottles tonight. I may have to get a growler of this stuff.

Last edited:
Bill,

Always nice to see your posts. It's like you take us on a grill/bbq journey with your pictures and descriptions. Very nice.

- Joe

Beautifully done and the steaks look just perfect. I also do dry aging; great to see another person's pics and experiences. Thanks for posting.

I really like your style of cooking Bill. Thank you for that pictorial lesson, I bet that meal was fantastic too!!

I just have one question - you changed out the paper towels each day so they were always wrapped?

Clint the first two or three days you have to change the paper, then after that it is like every other day. If you see a lot of red change them. They tend to stick to the fatty areas first, just peel them off. By the third day it is usually pretty clean and I seem to go every other day.
The best is if you get a steak that is nice and thick, but it will work on every steak.
I went eight days on this cook as I could not get family together until day eight.
You will get some odd looking coloring but that is normal. Just make sure your fridge is around 37 at the coldest place in it. I use a separate fridge thermometer to ensure the fridge is telling me the truth.
You will want to trim off the outside fat as it dries out and gets hard. When you cut it back you will get to this beautiful white fat and or beautiful red meat. That is perfect.
Darker meat actually comes out nice so don't trim it unless it is actually hard so you can't squeeze it.
The meat actually is quite juicy even if dark in color. The flavor is intense version of what you know as a good steak.
I love it, mostly because I am taking choice steaks and making them something that they serve at a fancy steak house.
My favorite is the Porterhouse but these steaks were a great buy so I went with them.

thanks for the clarification, I haven't tried this yet...I'll have to give it a shot. PH is my favorite too.

No action shots of the steak on the grill!? For shame! But you totally redeemed yourself with the rest of the cook! Outstanding!!

thanks for the how to on individual aging. if they taste anywhere near as good as they look, i'm guessing there were no left overs.

Patience is needed for this! Looking at those steaks for a week in the fridge would be hard to do! Looks like it was worth the wait!

Back