WSM to jumbo joe

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
Today I decided to make the aluminum tabs to attach above my WSM's legs to allow me to grill on the WSM as if it was a jumbo joe. I got this idea from TVWB website under "tips and mods". These 3 tabs just keep the lid from sliding around or falling off as you're cooking , since the bottom section and lid of the WSM are exactly the same size.

Ok. The most painful thing for me was going to HD and spending 8 bucks for 3 feet of 1 inch by 1/8 th aluminum stock when I literally needed 9 inches of it. :mad:
BUT ....once I got over myself , I just took the stuff home and cut myself 3 - 3 inch pieces.
937c8ee340f1189090c94bf909bf32de_zps948ce7e5.jpg

Drilled a hole in each to accommodate the screw that holds the leg on.smoothed the rough edges and sharp corners on my bench grinder....That screw takes the added thickness easily , no need to replace the screws.

I bent the tab just slightly to make sure there was clearance against the top edge....very easy to install and once all 3 are in place the lid can't slop around!

Can't wait to cook some burgers or chicken on it....oh! And the cooking grate sits right on top of the charcoal ring so there's no issue with that. (Sorry , no pic) Although , I might go out and buy the charcoal ring for the 22 inch kettle to use as a cooking grate as this sits pretty close to the charcoal so it's going to be REALLY. Hot and the charcoal grate is beefier and can take that heat better.its only 10 bucks or so at HD.

I know my metalworking skills are not going to win any awards but this is a very basic easy fix to solve a slightly pesky problem....so I'm happy with it.
99d40333e938d5dc401c95a6ba184917_zpsf8cd9a01.jpg

96e10287e96462dcedd92d3e8ae4de72_zpsecc1f10a.jpg

Very nice mod Frank. Now when you slow cook chicken you can drop the grill over the coals to crisp the skin. Sure beats the 10 bucks on the Rock's Stoker site (before shipping).

Last edited:
Very nice mod Frank. Now when you slow cook chicken you can drop the grill over the coals to crisp the skin. Sure beats the 10 bucks on the Rock's Stoker site (before shipping).

i know! And they are dead easy to make and install. Well , if anyone wants a homemade set , just let me know.I think I have enough material for 9 more sets! LOL

i know! And they are dead easy to make and install. Well , if anyone wants a homemade set , just let me know.I think I have enough material for 9 more sets! LOL

send me a pm w/how much you want and i'll take a set.

Looks great! Have any update on cooks with this mod? I'm wondering if the lid being taller than a jumbo joe would make a difference.
I'm trying to see which is better: a WSM on CL or a Jumbo Joe and mod it to a WSM ?

Top job Frank!
(I would be nice if Weber made the barrel just one size. So the lid fits the lower bowl. Then you'd have a 2 in 1 unit).

I know,we wouldn't buy the Jumbo Joe then. :rolleyes:

Frank, that's a great mod. I'll take a set too. THANKS...PM me and let me know how much and I can paypal or send ya a check. Thanks again.

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Back