Breakfast Bacon, Pulled Pork Dinner

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Chronologically: Pulled the 8 lb bone-in pork butt out of the freezer and into the fridge on Saturday morning to thaw. Rubbed with ancho/coffee pork rub (made up on the fly -- has plenty of black pepper and cinnamon too) and set on the WSM around 5 pm Sunday.
photo_zps85371ca8.jpg

Meanwhile I pulled this out of the box and plugged it in. Works like a charm on the home made bacon. Just be sure to chill the bacon in the freezer for 20 minutes beforehand.
photo_2_zpsde2015ae.jpg

Best bacon ever. Thinly sliced, crispy and beautiful. Credit where credit is due. My wife makes our jams. This one is strawberry/kiwi. Delish. Thanks hon.
photo_zps39517190.jpg

Did I mention that I forgot to set the alarm on the ET32 digital thermometer for the smoker? I usually use Royal Oak lump, but decided to use Kingsford blue for this one. Woke up at 6AM this morning, Monday, with the smoker temp on 176F. Opened a few vents and got her back up to 225 or so. I was planning on staying home today; so it took a little while longer... Finished up super tender around 11 AM. I didn't glaze or foil. The bark was heavenly...
photo_3_zps94fe16be.jpg

Brought the butt inside and foiled to rest for a couple hours while I vacuumed the house, etc. Pulled beautifully.
photo_4_zps60ad1346.jpg

Plated up with boiled potatoes with arugula/walnut/roasted garlic pesto (pesto c/o Janelle) and pickled okra (Janelle and her mom pickled them in the Smokey Mountains of NC a month ago during her visit.) I made the apple/cabbage slaw and opened up a jar of my sauce for the PP sandwich. Good stuff.
DSC_0246_zpsd908c66f.jpg

Thanks for the visit. Hope everyone had a great day/weekend.

You sir have one heck of a nice looking butt. I really mean it! Great color, looks tender and juicy, and ready to go in my mouth. Love it!!

one of the nicest looking butts I have seen in a while. nice ring to it. got a recipe for that rub your using? its sounds pretty good.

Fine lookin' meals there, Gary. Your sauce looks tasty, the taters look; aw, the whole plate looks tasty!

Back