Cod Filets on a Plank

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife and I were at Costco and found some nice Cod Filets. I had not grilled Cod in the recent past but was confident that it would cook similar to Salmon filets (keeping in mind that the Cod was skinless and boneless). I used a plank previously used with Steelhead (and rinsed and scraped, etc). I exposed both sides of the plank to the sterilizing heat so it was completely safe. I pre-heated the "cod side" over about 3/4 of a chimney of previously used coals spread evenly over the charcoal grate of the 22.5" OTG. I would call the heat moderate to hot. I gave the plank about three minutes on the fish side (after the grill was up to heat). The two filets were about 1" thick and I would judge weighed from 6-8 ounces each.

Here is the fish after fifteen minutes on the plank (after being rubbed with my standard Salmon rub "Fish & Seafood Seasoning" from Spade "L" Ranch of Selma, California). A light coat of Virgin Olive Oil was applied to the filets and then the rub was sprinkled on all sides of the fish):

Here they are on a plate:

Finally; "plated" with sides of Butter/Parsely Red Potatoes and Green Beans al dente:

The filets were cooked just until they flaked. The flesh came apart kind of like a fan with much moistness retained. The flavor of the fish combined perfectly with the rub and the finishing sauce. The cedar plank gave a gentle caress of smoke to the filets that helped make them special. Sorry you all were not there to share it with us...

Thanks for "listening".

Good Smokin' and grillin' to all:wsm:

Dale53

Robert, that looks so good, the seasoning looks super. Finishing sauce......you said finishing sauce..........give it up.......it looks to good for you not to share it.....

If you haven't yet grilled on a plank, you NEED to try it. It is quite easy and seems to help retain moisture in the foods cooked in that manner. The only fly in the ointment, is that planks are a bit expensive. However, there are ways to combat the expense. You can easily reuse many of the planks (taking care to clean them properly and then sterilize both sides in the heat of the grill before you put food on them [pre-heating them in the process]). My oldest son bought a plank at the lumber yard (after making certain that the particular wood planks are NOT treated for health reasons (arsenic has been used to treat wood for weather resistance and there are other "less than desirable" chemicals used to treat some woods - TAKE CARE). Another possibility is do what I did - Costco only has these seasonably (typically at the beginning of the BBQ season in the spring). Shortly after that, they'll put them on sale to clear the shelves for more seasonable merchandise. You can then buy them at a VERY good price. Check out your supplier to see if that is possible (just like charcoal at Lowe's and Home Depot).

If you want to have more information on grilling on a plank, Amazon has some books on the subject for relatively small change. I can recommend "The Plank Grilling Book" from personal use as a very useful introduction to plank cooking. I might suggest that you order from Amazon through this site (the Forum gets a small stipend from Amazon, it is my understanding but it only happens if you link to Amazon from here (when I bought my WSM it was ordered from here so the site could benefit).

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited:

Back