Rotisserie ?????

K. Weber

Hi everyone, I recently joined this site after lurking forever and I have a question. I know I want to add a rotisserie to my bbq/grilling arsenal, but am stuck. The debate comes in wether or not to get a rotisserie for a Genesis EP 330, or the 22.5 WSM. I am sure both would do a great job, but if you had to choose would you go for the gas or charcoal rotisserie. Thanks

I have one for my gasser but never use it since I do 99.999999999999% of my grilling/cooking on my kettle. I would love one for the kettle.

It depends, do you want your food to taste like charcoal or propane? Do you want it to taste great or do you want convenience? The choice is yours. You could also give your money to Ron Popeil and set it and forget it!! ;) :p

I have both types of grills. And I've made ribs on both. Yes the ribs taste better on my performer, but it is so easy cooking the ribs on my rotisserie on the gas grill. Performer takes a lot more patience and skill. Some days I like to dumb it down tho.

I appreciate the responses. I would just go out and buy both, but I would never hear the end of it. I am leaning towards the kettle style rotisserie. I really like my Genesis allot, but I sure do enjoy and find it relaxing, next best thing to fishing, cooking on the WSM. After reading through how to use it as a regular charcoal grill on here, plus a few mods(minor), that thing is very easy to cook on from long smokes to searing steaks. Guess I am gonna have to think on this a bit more, on where I would get the most use out of a rotiiserie.

My choice would be to start with charcoal, which is my first choice for outdoor cooking.
Using the rotisserie is usually for things that take more time than grilling a burger or steak,
so why not go for best flavor over convenience?

I got lucky - back in ~08 I went to see a performer near me on craigslist. It turned out to be a platinum (with a weber rotisserie) but I already had an OTG. The seller was asking $100, I about walked, offered $40, he took $50 IIRC. I gave the OTG to a friend & got the table & rotisserie for $50.

Since you're not as lucky as me :p I'd get the one you like to cook on most. I don't use it that often, maybe a dozen times in the last 5 years is all, but it's easy. The temps do tend to run high so I almost have to run it with the vents all closed if I'm shooting for <400F

Weber's rotisserie will not fit your 22.5 WSM.
To add a rotisserie to your WSM, you need the Cajun Bandit set-up.
The CB rotisserie will work on BOTH your 22.5 WSM and your 22.5" Weber Kettle.

Rotisserie Ring (Weber Kettle / Weber Smokey Mtn) Price: $119.00
18 guage stainless steel rotisserie Ring Designed to fit both the 22 inch Weber Smokey Mountain and Weber Kettle. Design allows ring to be flipped over, so depending what product you are using a good tight fit is achieved. It also fits Ugly Drum Smokers. Due to variations by manufactures make sure the drum measures 22 9/16th across before you order. This is the most common size for 55 gallon drums. This product works with most rotisserie kits but is primarily designed for the one we offer on our site as well as the Rib-O-Lator.

you may question whether the CB rotisserie is worth the cost of it... in my opinion: Yes It Is.

Jim Lampe - Thanks for clarifying that for me. I had not caught that. And thanks to everyone else. I think I am gonna wind up going with the rotisserie for the WSM., as it brings much joy and would get more use then if I got it for the Genesis.

I am late replying and I don't have a gas grill but a rotisserie is one of the best accessories I have purchased for my Performer. I bought the Cajun Bandit set-up. Chickens cooked on the rotisserie are sensational. I have also done roast beast this way and it is also excellent. I cook using indirect heat. I fill both baskets, fire them up and then push one to each side. I put the meat on the spit, fire up the rotisserie and slap on the lid. The performer cooks at about 350 for most of the cook and about the time the temp starts to approach 300 degrees the meat is done. The pop up timer on an oven stuffer has always worked well for me. Beef is a little harder because you can't use a probe with a cable. I use a small standard meat thermometer and just let it turn with the meat.

Weber's rotisserie will not fit your 22.5 WSM.
To add a rotisserie to your WSM, you need the Cajun Bandit set-up.
The CB rotisserie will work on BOTH your 22.5 WSM and your 22.5" Weber Kettle.

Rotisserie Ring (Weber Kettle / Weber Smokey Mtn) Price: $119.00
18 guage stainless steel rotisserie Ring Designed to fit both the 22 inch Weber Smokey Mountain and Weber Kettle. Design allows ring to be flipped over, so depending what product you are using a good tight fit is achieved. It also fits Ugly Drum Smokers. Due to variations by manufactures make sure the drum measures 22 9/16th across before you order. This is the most common size for 55 gallon drums. This product works with most rotisserie kits but is primarily designed for the one we offer on our site as well as the Rib-O-Lator.

you may question whether the CB rotisserie is worth the cost of it... in my opinion: Yes It Is.

Dang Jim....you have all of the toys!

It depends, do you want your food to taste like charcoal or propane? Do you want it to taste great or do you want convenience? The choice is yours. You could also give your money to Ron Popeil and set it and forget it!! ;) :p

Propane has a taste? as Hank Hill tells us "Taste the meat, not the heat". :)

Back