Steelhead on the grill

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
We found some really nice steelhead at Costco (our "local" Costco seems to have the finest seafood I have seen, anywhere). I decided to use a Cedar Plank. I used a rub that was sent to me by my son-in-law from Salt Lake City, UT. It is "Fish & Seafood Seasoning" from Spade "L" Ranch of Selma, California (manufactured by J.I.M Engineering, of all things). At any rate, I took two rather large filet's (skin on) and thawed them. We bought fresh and froze them. At any rate, I drizzled some olive oil on and rubbed it on evenly. I then sprinkled the rub rather liberally and rubbed it gently.

I was using my 22.5" OTG. I dumped one chimney of Kingsford and spread evenly over the bottom of the grill. I immediately placed a soaked cedar plank on the grill and closed it up for about seven minutes. The board was smoking nicely. I had applied the rub about thirty minutes before. I put the filets on the hot plank skin side down. I would judge the fire to be medium hot to hot. In fifteen minutes the steelhead was done. My judgement is based on when the flesh releases from the skin - that's when I remove it with a nice, rather large, spatula (available from GFS). It helps for the spatula to be rather stiff.

My wife (who, as I have mentioned before is a formally trained cook) pronounced the results to be the "best dish I have ever done on the grill" that is SERIOUS praise coming from her. Frankly, it was a genuine home run! The quality of the fish (extremely high) and the great rub enhanced the great fish for a near perfect entre. My wife added parsley red potatoes, long green beans and a wonderful accompaniment, sour cream cucumbers and vidalia onions.

Steelhead filets with the olive oil and rub applied:

Steelhead on the cedar plank ready to remove:

Steelhead on the plate:

You will have to excuse the rather modest portions. My doc really read me the riot act about six weeks ago and I am on a serious weight loss program. There is an upside, however, I have lost ten percent of my body weight, tapped a new source of energy, and have a great attitude. I get one real meal a day but DO have to watch my portion size. That has given me a new appreciation for food that greatly exceeds my previous appreciation (that I thought was about as big as it gets - not so:eek:).

Thanks for sharing with me...

Dale53

Robert, awesome cook and post! Thanks so much for walking us through it, (This means I'm stealing it), and congrats on listening to your doc.

That is how we do salmon from costco. The cedar plank makes all the difference. Food looks GREAT.

Rolf;
You're not stealing ANYTHING! We are sharing, period:cool:...

I have learned much from this Forum. It behooves me to pass along anything that I have learned or like!

Dale53

This evening we repeated the cook just like the original post I made above. It was, again, AWESOME! I saw no need to take photos again (saving bandwidth for the forum, don't cha know:)). My wife heated some grilled corn cut off the cob from a day or so ago, and made a batch of brown rice and quinoa, and had a nice coleslaw to go with the steelhead.

I will be going to Costco again in a day or two and this time I will pick up some Wild Alaskan Salmon as well as some more steelhead. This is truly "Food for the Gods"!

Good grillin', folks!

Dale53

Back