Beer Can Chicken on the WSM - (High or Low Heat)

Mike Arnold

I just got the WSM and would like to make Beer Can Chicken. I have not made anything yet. I saw the recipe on the website which calls for lower heat (225-250)
and to use the water pan. I have seen other variations that call for using higher heat (325-350) and no water in the pan.
What is the difference in the results? I read somewhere that the skin will be crispier using the higher heat.

Please let me know how your experience was using both methods.
Thanks.

Mike

Hello Mike, for the beer can chicken on the wsm I suggest using the high heat and no water in the pan. If you cook it at about 250 the meat will be fine but the skin will be rubbery, also at the higher heat it will be cooked sooner.

Hello Mike, for the beer can chicken on the wsm I suggest using the high heat and no water in the pan. If you cook it at about 250 the meat will be fine but the skin will be rubbery, also at the higher heat it will be cooked sooner.

Dave,
That is exactly what I was thinking based on my research. I want the skin to be crispy if possible, not rubbery.
Since this will be my first use of the WSM, it will tend to run hotter anyway the first time I use it.
Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

I would do a 300 degree cook. Foiled pan only. I think you can get good results.

Mike, I'm relatively new to smoking and my wsm - have been using it a few months now - but have had several successful beer can chicken runs, with my last one being the best. I brined the chicken for 2 hours, used willy's #1-derful rub, and 2/3 of a can of beer. 275 was my temp for most of the cook, with some spikes up to 290. We don't eat skin so I can't comment, but the hotter the temp the more the skin will get crisp, so perhaps Tony's advice is spot on! I will say it helps to have the beer at room temp, so that it doesn't insulate the breast with chilled beer, causing it to take a long time to cook/overcooking the rest. I bought a clay saucer day 1 of my wsm, foiled it, and have never moved it or looked back..I didn't want to have to deal with water as an additional variable with there already being so many. Good luck, it's a cheap and fun experiment! I will also say, go easy on the smoke wood..less is more with chicken I've found.

the more salt you add to the skin the easier it is to dry and crisp. I usally add a very liberal amount of salt in addition to the rub which is full of salt.

Drink the beer while you read THIS

I think there are some truths in this article, and I love that site overall for its recipes, zen behind various things, etc..however, I have found I get great results and avoid most of the negatives by making sure I use a ROOM TEMPERATURE BEER.

With some rub and heat and smoke and when it get to around 160 breast 170 thigh it will be very tasty regardless of temp. Have fun cooking a beer can chick over high heat with no water this time and try something different next time. Im sure none of it will go to waste.

I did my first and only beer can chicken on the kettle. So, I'd agree, HH is the way to go! No need for a rubber(y) chicken!

Hi I would go hi heat too, having done a 250 whole chicken (first ever smoke, following a rough guide for meat at 250) it was lovely meat but I could not even break the skin with my teeth! :mad:

Generally speaking, for something like a whole chicken I would cook in my smoker at the same temp I would cook it at in the oven ....probably at least 300F and likely hotter.

I have to figure out how to upload pictures on here....

The chicken turned out great... I could have cooked it a little longer to get that crispy skin, but oh well....

pictures to follow...

Last edited:

Back