My most successful ribs yet -- how I made them.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I have made baby backs on my 22.5 maybe 10 times in total. This past weekend, I think I had my best luck with my ribs, so I thought I'd share my method here.

To start, I dry rubbed and held only for a few hours versus overnight which I have always done in the past. I also applied a very light coat of salt on both sides of the ribs before the dry rub, just for some additional flavor. I used the minion method, 40 lit, 1 full ring of unlit, and 6-7 chunks of hickory and mesquite hardwoods.

I ran them at 275* for most of the cook, but at times I was up higher, closer to 300*, but only for 15 to 30 minute increments until I could get the heat under control. Foiled water pan, no water, but also a foiled clay saucer.

Just under 3 hours unwrapped, then I covered each rack with a medium helping of brown sugar and foiled them with about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and back on the smoker for another 45 minutes. I unwrapped them and finished them over open heat for about another 30 minutes and them checked for doneness. They passed the bend test and the toothpick test, so I pulled them, loosely tented them with foil for about 15 minutes and then served them.

They were fabulous! It's my understanding that a "properly" cooked rib should not fall off the bone, but these did fall off the bone, but were not mushy. Great taste and texture. I suspect they could have been pulled a bit earlier, but no complaints. My wife and kids raved about them. :cool:

So, my lesson: ribs done a bit hotter may be better in the end. I normally run them about 225 to 250, but these were closer to 275+ for the whole cook, and I think it rendered the fat better and put a nice crust on them.

That's it. Thanks for reading! Smoke on!! :wsm:

Sounds good. I have been playin around with different ways lately. I like to add the salt separately too, but I have been putting it on first so the rub (saltless) sticks to the moisture...

Mine is close to yours, except mine are piggy, piggy piggy St. Louis style. Cook at 265-280, 3 hours with rub, then foiled with brown sugar, butter, honey, and Tiger Sauce, which to my understanding is the Johnny Trigg way, and then cooked for another 1.5 hours, and then the last 30-45 is unfoiled topped with a sauce, until toothpick tender. Depending on the pig, that is usually just before falling off the bone, not that I mind that to tell the truth. I also find that cutting them boneside up helps in two ways, one, easy to see where to cut, and two, they slice easier without tearing up the top of the rib (better plating appearance). And yes, cooking around the 275 level is better in my opinion than 225

I have friends ask me to cook for them if they supply the ribs......................d

Last edited:
Congrats on finding the best way for you, and by the sounds of it they came out how I would really like them too so it's worth a try. One thing I tried the last time I smoked some ribs was to add the brown sugar and then drizzle a little bit of "I can't believe it's not Butter" on them before foiling. What a difference that made and am now sold on that deal. Thanks for the post Jeff!

Take a bow Jeff and have a feel good moment , cause that's what's really matters :wsm:
Tim

Thats how I have been doing them too. Try brown sugar, honey & tiger sauce in the foil. I think you will like that too. The tiger sauce is not hot after it is cooked in the foil.

Thats how I have been doing them too. Try brown sugar, honey & tiger sauce in the foil. I think you will like that too. The tiger sauce is not hot after it is cooked in the foil.

I am going to try the tiger sauce next. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sounds good, and by the way, that's pretty much how a lot of folks cook comp style St. Louies. The only thing about cooking on the fast side is when you have a lot of "packages" on the cooker to have to open. It's a bit different than having only two or three on one rack, and it sucks when you pull the ribs out and bones stay in the foil, if you get my drift. On the other hand, dropping the temp while in the foil could buy some "forgiveness", since the crust is already formed. I might have to try that again. Anyhow, just letting you in on my processing, since I try to learn from the success of others.

Congrats on your ribs!
Dave

I have made baby backs on my 22.5 maybe 10 times in total. This past weekend, I think I had my best luck with my ribs, so I thought I'd share my method here.

To start, I dry rubbed and held only for a few hours versus overnight which I have always done in the past. I also applied a very light coat of salt on both sides of the ribs before the dry rub, just for some additional flavor. I used the minion method, 40 lit, 1 full ring of unlit, and 6-7 chunks of hickory and mesquite hardwoods.

I ran them at 275* for most of the cook, but at times I was up higher, closer to 300*, but only for 15 to 30 minute increments until I could get the heat under control. Foiled water pan, no water, but also a foiled clay saucer.

Just under 3 hours unwrapped, then I covered each rack with a medium helping of brown sugar and foiled them with about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and back on the smoker for another 45 minutes. I unwrapped them and finished them over open heat for about another 30 minutes and them checked for doneness. They passed the bend test and the toothpick test, so I pulled them, loosely tented them with foil for about 15 minutes and then served them.

They were fabulous! It's my understanding that a "properly" cooked rib should not fall off the bone, but these did fall off the bone, but were not mushy. Great taste and texture. I suspect they could have been pulled a bit earlier, but no complaints. My wife and kids raved about them. :cool:

So, my lesson: ribs done a bit hotter may be better in the end. I normally run them about 225 to 250, but these were closer to 275+ for the whole cook, and I think it rendered the fat better and put a nice crust on them.

That's it. Thanks for reading! Smoke on!! :wsm:

275 is the temp that Harry Soo runs his ribs at. I've been doing them at 225-250 too. I think I'll have to try 275. If a champ like Soo says its better who am I to argue?

Last edited:
275 is the temp that Harry Soo runs his ribs at. I've been doing them at 225-250 too. I think I'll have to try 275. If a champ like Soo says it better who am I to argue?

Agreed. I was reading the Wisdom of Harry Soo and I noticed he likes to run his about 275*. Hard to argue with a pro like him. :wsm:

Jeff,

Screw "properly". People who eat my ribs rave, say things like "the best I've ever eaten", ask me to do them for them again and again, and more often than not what are the ribs doing? Falling off the bone more often than not or pulling off easily. Is that "proper"? I couldn't care less. The reaction of your family is the only properly you'll ever need or remember. Great job on satisfying the most important crowd in your life.

Jeff,

Screw "properly". People who eat my ribs rave, say things like "the best I've ever eaten", ask me to do them for them again and again, and more often than not what are the ribs doing? Falling off the bone more often than not or pulling off easily. Is that "proper"? I couldn't care less. The reaction of your family is the only properly you'll ever need or remember. Great job on satisfying the most important crowd in your life.

Thank you sir. Point taken. :cool:

I'm going to have to try this recipe out as well. Thanks for sharing, Jeff! I was surprised that you used both hickory and mesquite, because most recipes I've read call for a milder combination. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't too over powering (I like a heavier smoke flavor personally!)

I just placed two slabs in the smoker following the wisdom in this thread. I've been taking a few pictures on this cook (only my 4th in the wsm) so I'll make a separate post with the results. Thanks for the guidance as I wasn't too thrilled with my first attempt at ribs...

I just placed two slabs in the smoker following the wisdom in this thread. I've been taking a few pictures on this cook (only my 4th in the wsm) so I'll make a separate post with the results. Thanks for the guidance as I wasn't too thrilled with my first attempt at ribs...

Can't wait to see your results! Good luck and post pics. Smoke on! :wsm:

Back