hooks to hang ribs? double stack questions?

M Crooks

TVWBB Fan
I recently came across a middle section for cheap and picked it up. I want to hang ribs and would like to know which hooks I should get. Should I drill and put a rod through one of the sections? I hate the ribs rack I have and don't like cutting the slabs in half.

Are you able to stack two smoker bodies? That would give you a longer body to hang meat in and give you more ways to hang ribs aside from running rods through the body.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page: Increasing Cooking Capacity. You'll see some photos of how someone added a hanger to a drum smoker. You could do something similar in that second middle section you acquired.

What's shown there is a bacon hanger. I think I've seen others use stainless steel "S" hooks. You can find both types on the Allied Kenco site.

Are you able to stack two smoker bodies? That would give you a longer body to hang meat in and give you more ways to hang ribs aside from running rods through the body.

Yes u can with a little modification...............

CIMG4468_zps4e22008d.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks I have a 18" wsm and the sections stack ok but I havent tried it with fire yet. Still need to get the grates for it. I havent decide if I want a rod through the top or getting crazy and trying to hang ribs from the top grate.

PeterZ I have seen yours and other double stacked smokers but no one says how they do it. I also dont want to do anything where I cant go back to stock. I am ok with drilling or cutting the extra middle section as long as I save one in case I want to sell for a 22".

Thanks I have a 18" wsm and the sections stack ok but I havent tried it with fire yet. Still need to get the grates for it. I havent decide if I want a rod through the top or getting crazy and trying to hang ribs from the top grate.

You have a few options. There are grates available where you can easily hang meat off of. A wire grate with a large center cut out is also available.

22" cast iron grate with 2 sections removed. 3 slabs hanging.
P1060958_zps7c5ddc1e.jpg

Here's my Smokey Joe UDS with a single 14" threaded rod
P1070002_zps6759caaa.jpg

Good topic, and I'm seriously interested in hanging ribs over my water pan. I could hang whole slabs in my 22" if I lengthened or replaced the grate straps to drop the pan about three inches. (I'd like to do that anyway, so I could cook three grates worth of butts.) I'd still have to come up with some kind of wire support that rose up into the dome a bit, though. Much like the Smoke EZ wire support: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36362877@N07/3495601250/in/photostream

Chris, do you know of anyone doing something like this yet in the big wsm?

Actually, my next project will be a 22" ring of 3/8" rebar with a couple of elevated hanger rods, all welded. It only makes sense to use all that empty space in the lid.

Actually, my next project will be a 22" ring of 3/8" rebar with a couple of elevated hanger rods, all welded. It only makes sense to use all that empty space in the lid.

That's my thinking as well, George. I'd also be interested in any tips you can give regarding what you've learned from cooking hanging ribs.

Regards,
Dave

How do you like hanging ribs compared to cooking them flat? Which hooks are you using?

How do you like hanging ribs compared to cooking them flat? Which hooks are you using?

They cook like as if they were done on a rotisserie. Very even cooking on both sides. I don't use a heat barrier so there's some minor blackening at the bottom tip, closest to the coals, no big deal.

As for the meat hooks I cut and bent metal skewers I had laying around. I also made them as short as possible.

when i first started getting into q i went to some comps and one of the first things i noticed was folks with 16 gal drums on sj's cooking by hanging. many were cooking whole chickens. one guy let me try some of the chicken and man it was good. i remember thinking that that is what chicken is supposed to taste like. any way, cooking by hanging in drums seems to be the way it is/was done around here.

when i first started getting into q i went to some comps and one of the first things i noticed was folks with 16 gal drums on sj's cooking by hanging. many were cooking whole chickens. one guy let me try some of the chicken and man it was good. i remember thinking that that is what chicken is supposed to taste like. any way, cooking by hanging in drums seems to be the way it is/was done around here.

George, if you ever get a chance to take any photos and post them it woulld be great.

Thank you. Looks really good.

George read your entire project thread. How tall is a 15 gallon drum?

Thanks

Last edited:

Back