WSM Middle Handle Mod

Bob Mann

TVWBB Honor Circle
Another intrusive WSM mod!

The factory WSM handle metal is 9/16" x 1/16". The closest I could easily find was 1/2" x 1/8" flat stock at Lowes. I bought 3 - 3 foot pieces, 1 piece for prototypes and 2 pieces for the finished product.

My first attempt was a failure, but I got data. The second attempt was close and needed only a little tweaking to get it right.

I bent the pieces in a 4" bench vice. The final measurements I used, from the end in are:
1st bend: 2"
2nd bend: 1 3/4"
3rd bend: 3 7/8"
4th bend: 1 5/8"

1st successful bend, using my 22 1/2" WSM side handle as a template.
wsmhandle02.jpg

I replicated the prototype bend on the next two pieces of flat stock.
wsmhandle04.jpg

Cut up, drilled and sanded, including the prototype.
wsmhandle08.jpg

Painted black.
wsmhandle10.jpg

To match my 22 1/2" WSM, I got 2 dark gray handles from Weber.
wsmhandle22.jpg

To match my 18 1/2" WSM, I got 2 light gray handles online.
wsmhandle09.jpg

To fit my custom metal work, I had to round off the corners, and flatten the back of the light gray handles with a belt sander.
wsmhandle07.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted the handles with 10-32 x 1/2" stainless steel screws. I then cut the extra threads with a bolt cutter and filed them down.
wsmhandle20.jpg

The 18 1/2" WSM
wsmhandle13.jpg

The 18 1/2" WSM, closeup
wsmhandle15.jpg

The 22 1/2" WSM.
wsmhandle16.jpg

The 22 1/2" WSM, closeup.
wsmhandle14.jpg

The 22 1/2" WSM, showing my other mods.
wsmhandle17.jpg

The pair.
wsmhandle11.jpg

Very nice job on the handles! Looks like factory original! I haven't decided if I want to put handles on the middle section of my WSM or not, but if I do I'd want them to look like yours!

Nice job Bob, I didn't go that route so I just added plain ole black handles, but yours do look original, if there were such a thing:rolleyes:............................d

Last edited:
Very nice. If weber ever starts putting handles on the middle sections , they'll want them just like that. :wsm:

Oh , and by the way....can you still use the stock covers with the new handles in place?

The 22 1/2" WSM cover fits very tight, too tight to be useable. The 18 1/2" cover isn't even close to fitting.
I got a couple of these covers on Amazon, "Brinkmann Dome Smoker Cover". It fits on the big WSM nicely.
Even though the 22 1/2" WSM cover fits the 18 1/2" WSM, I got 2 Brinkmann covers, so they match. :)

Last edited:
Looks good and I like the look of them dark grey handles. I'm guessin Weber came out with them in 012?

Tim

I'm glad I laid the screen door handles back down at Lowes yesterday. I'll be looking for some strap metal now;)

Good job Steve:wsm:

Bob,
Did the same exact thing on mine with the brackets and the handles. I just mounted mine using the holes already there so they are vertical and not horizontal. The cover still fits fine on mine and was worried it may not but lucked out. Great looking job you did. Horizontal mounting makes it easier to lift I`m sure but I was uneasy drilling another hole for my probe port mod and only need to lift it a few times in a long smoke.
Here is what mine looks like..
IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

Mounted on smoker
100_1906Medium_zps300b792f.jpg

Really nice work BoB, thought it out, planned it, implemented it and the outcome was excellent. Thanks for sharing it to everyone on tvwbb modifications.

I had previously tried to put weber handles on mine and discovered that they would not fit, I never thought to sand or cut down the weber handles to fit, so off I go to the shop and give it a try as I have two sets of those handles that I got from a replacement mid section. Thanks for posting...........................d

Update. Well, wasn't meant to be as my handles have a curve to them which will not allow the two to meet without a big gap, so that project is for another day that likely will never happen unless it rains for 10 straight days.........

Last edited:
Glad you all liked my mod, thanks for the kind words.

Mike, your handles look great also!

Thanks Bob..Great minds think alike...LOL
I did find out that if you sanded/filed small grooves into the metal flat stock it let the metal slip into the handle flat and it could be screwed down tight with no gaps. The flat stock from HD and Lowes is a small tad wider than the stuff Weber uses and the handles are designed for and causes it not to sit flat. I just modded the metal where you modded the handles...either method works in the end.
You can see the small groves in the edge of the lower handle in this pic. Probably would have shown up better on the metal before I painted them with grill paint.
IMAG0408.jpg

Back