The Rail Splitter: Mods to my new 18.5 WSM

Jorge Willard

I think I posted this is the wrong forum, so hopefully this is the right place! Nonetheless, I finally got the last few of my mods completed and have the inaugural smoke for tomorrow morning: 10 lbs of chicken leg quarters (Slaughterhouse Brine) with some local poultry rub! So without further ado, here are the mods and my smoker, "The Rail Splitter" (you can click on photos to see full picture):

Here is a walnut handle made by Brian Oneal that replaced the plastic Weber one:

Purchased the 3/8 Sensor Grommets from CB and completed the Genie Garage Door Handle Mod (x 4):

Went and mod'd the charcoal ring/grate with another Weber grill grate set perpendicular with 8" SS eyebolts/washers/nuts:

Nomex Gasket around the top lip and also around the bottom bowl:

Foiled the Waterpan and purchased a 14" clay saucer from HD (foiled also):

Purchased a die-cut decal of Abe (I'm a history buff) and used VHT gloss black paint to put on my Cajun Bandit SS door. Let it dried for 3 hours, then baked in the oven @ 200 degrees for 90 minutes. I think it came it pretty nice. I'm just a fan of adding a personal touch to all of my "projects" and I thought "The Rail Splitter" would keep my smoker "honest". :)

I've developed a twitch in my left eyelid from staying up too late and perusing the forums/threads for all of my mods. It's definitely an obsession and I'm pumped to break it in. There is enough Nomex Gasket left over to do the door, but I did the "door latch" mod with a socket head screw to really get a tight latch on my door. IT IS TIGHT! I'm doing a test run around 5pm and I will report with my findings. Wish me luck and thanks fellow TVWBB members for all your help~

Purchased a die-cut decal of Abe (I'm a history buff) and used VHT gloss black paint to put on my Cajun Bandit SS door. Let it dried for 3 hours, then baked in the oven @ 200 degrees for 90 minutes. I think it came it pretty nice. I'm just a fan of adding a personal touch to all of my "projects" and I thought "The Rail Splitter" would keep my smoker "honest". :)
~

1) Welcome to the forum
2) Outstanding mods
3) Fantastic photo/description
4) LOVE the personal touch on the CB door. Gives me thought/ideas for my own... :D
5) Keep the pics coming

You clearly planned your mods well and did a great job on execution. The Abe Lincoln artwork is cool.
Excellent job Jorge!
Good luck with your first chicken cook. Post pics in the "Photo Gallery"!

Bob

Last edited:
It was this thread which inspired the mod to my Cajun Bandit door.
FA064453-207F-4194-82D0-E3A15EC3CCA1-5980-000002C33398A04F.jpg

Bman, those look amazing! It looks as if they could be at the equivalent of the Detroit Auto Show but for new Weber models. Very nice. :)

Back