Bacon and Jerky

Chris Lynch

TVWBB All-Star
First I'd like to thank Bob Correll, Kevin the BBQ guru and the Academy.
Jerky dried and marinated for about 3 days
Jerkydry_zpsbbd6bbf8.jpg

4lbs of pork belly cured for 7 days
007_zps4fa6ba67.jpg

Onto the smoker with a few small chunks of "Pennslyvania Fruitwood". I have never heard of it but it is really mild wood. I had to put the jerky on the bottom because the racks I had chosen wouldn't fit with the curvature of the lid. And I didn't want any of the bacon fat rendering onto the jerky...somehow I don't think that should be so wrong? But anyway, I didn't want to ruin the drying process of the jerky
011_zpse37ad741.jpg

bacon is done! Took a little longer than I thought. I kept the target temp around 170-180 so the jerky wouldn't cook
028_zps123a8a74.jpg

Jerky is done. It took a lot of rotating to get the drying process even
026_zps4063fe84.jpg

Bacon! I really need a slicer. The cutting process proved to me more difficult than I thought.
029_zps2f9db810.jpg

I should have posted a pic of the bacon egg and cheese on an everything bagel...
I will say this about homemade bacon...do it!

Terrific looking bacon and jerky Chris!

It's been ages since I've made jerky.
I will add that I don't think 3 days marinating is needed, but guess it doesn't hurt either.
A few hours, or up to a day was the most I ever went.

Terrific looking bacon and jerky Chris!

It's been ages since I've made jerky.
I will add that I don't think 3 days marinating is needed, but guess it doesn't hurt either.
A few hours, or up to a day was the most I ever went.
Yeah I would think you'd be right. It doesn't take much to penetrate that meat. I just wanted to follow Kevin's instructions to the "T"

looks GREAT Chris!
Say, toss your slab of bacon in the freezer to firm it up a bit before cutting... makes slicing it soo much easier.
Yeah man, Great looking Bacon AND jerky!!

Looks great! Really love the way the Jerky looks. Have been pushing that one infront of me forever now. A MUST try!

Back