PDQ Burnt Ends and sides

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
I have a friend that was going to brine his own corned beef, but pneumonia and a trip to the hospital has held him back. I've decided to make it and have it ready for him in a week. Bought an Angus brisket today and trimmed and separated the flat from the point. The flat is currently brining in my fridge. I decided to make burnt ends of the point. However, I slept late and after the trip to buy the brisket, didn't get the point on the smoker until 11:30am. :p

photo_zpsb1360cc7.jpg

Point trimmed, salted, rubbed with my rub. I try to keep it simple: black and green peppercorns, coriander, cumin, ancho and pequin peppers, cinnamon, allspice, Mexican oregano, granulated onion and garlic, a little sugar.

DSC_0148_zps168121be.jpg

Temped the smoker, but not the point. Kept things around 225-240F until 4pm. Let it climb up a bit and foiled with a sliced green apple for about an hour. Getting tender going in.

DSC_0154_zps42bfcf05.jpg

WSM temp was about 290F. Took the point out of the foil and put it back on the grate, naked, for 30 minutes, then glazed with some of my sauce with a bit of pomegranate molasses, orange juice, butter and honey added. Here it is off the smoker resting. Mmm, crunchy.

DSC_0155_zps61624176.jpg

Got the sides going. Glazed carrots and turnips with ginger, chestnuts and water chestnuts. Recipe here. (The fresh water chestnuts were my own addition.)

DSC_0158_zps1b223496.jpg

Tuscan potatoes and green olives. Saute the shallot and garlic. Add chopped rosemary, boiled potatoes, cherry tomatoes, pitted green olives, splash of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of the potato water. Bring to a boil. Season salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and stir in the pecorino romano.

DSC_0159_zps5f5f4cbc.jpg

Slice up the burnt ends and drizzle some glazing sauce over the top.

DSC_0164_zpsfa5a4c25.jpg

Plated. A bit rich and starch heavy, but delicious on a chilly night. Thanks for looking and enjoy your evening!

DSC_0166_zps01731b1d.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!! My wife has been bugging me to do a brisket. I have no idea how to trim it up. Don't know a flap from a tip or nothing. I see I'm in need for more education, I live learning, especially when I get to eat it! Great looking pics and cook Gary, your friend is gonna live ya! :)

I see I'm in need for more education...
Trimming a brisket is self-explanitory Gene. Trim the fat cap and trim out the layer of hard fat that separates the flat from the point (or deckle). Usually when I smoke a whole packer brisket I don't separate the two until fully cooked. You can do it! :)

...and your friend is gonna LOVE ya too;)
Gary, you don't post often enough, and that's a shame!
You cook up some of the finest i've seen on this site (and i'm here aLOT)
your BE's and tater salad (hope it's OK to call it that:rolleyes: ) and veggies are all SENSATIONAL!!
What A GREAT Dinner! What A Great Friend You Are!!!:)

I am going to repeat what most have already said. Looks perfect.

Paul said it again and so do I. I also agree with Mr. Lampe.... please post more often. Thank you for the education and a tour of how to do a wonderful meal. Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.

Thanks to all for the very kind words. I do recommend everyone try a whole packer brisket if you have the desire. I do believe there is a tendency to overcook the flat. Remember, fork tender for a brisket flat is not the same as pork butt tender. Brisket is much more dense with less fat. But you can do it!
Cheers.

Back