mini wsm Pork Butt

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So...it's a warm rainy day here in the Northern Alabama hills: a perfect day for cooking outdoors! :D I've not done a butt in the mini wsm yet so when we were stocking up at the grocery for a grandkid sleep over, I spied a nice 7#er way in the back of the meat case.

I ran a test fit - look like a perfect fit

IMG_1255_zps3fa56ff1.jpg

...so, I filled the mini with unlit lump

IMG_1257_zps7e31298f.jpg

...fired up a mini chimney full of lump, filled my water pan with hot water to within 1" of the top (about 1.25 gal), lightly rubbed the butt with some spicy brown and Bad Byron's

IMG_1256_zpsfd53666e.jpg

...and we're off to the races

IMG_1259_zps712bebb3.jpg

...after protecting the mav for wet weather operations.

IMG_1258_zpsff8c313e.jpg

Since I don't plan to open the cooker until the mav tells me she's done, I'll see you in ~10 - 14 hours!

Last edited:
hate cookin' in the rain:( done it way too often
butt the butt-reward is worth it all.
I'll check back in 10-14 hours Dwain!

I hear ya Jim. My occasional showers turned to consistent downpours so I had to relocate the mini onto the table under the umbrella (without opening the cooker). :) Indoor ops today so...I started some Saltgrass Shiner Boch Beer Bread. LOL

IMG_1261_zpsb919d2e8.jpg

I like how you were protecting the maverick. I need to figure something out along those lines.

I use an upside down sandwich size ziplock bag. I leave the bottom open for the wires and snap the bracket on the maverick outside the baggy. This helps hold the baggy in place as well as lets me hang it on my deck rail.

Dwain, love your 732 cover! Poured almost all week here! I measured 4.5"! Now the cold followed!

The heavy stuff just hit...I went from 260* to 220* in about 5 minutes! Suppose to be COLD behind this rain.

nice. do you really find the need for water in the mini ? first time i can remember someone doing that.

Probably not....I simply tried to replicate the WSM. I usually use water in the big boy so I thought I'd make my build along the same lines. I use a clay saucer when doing poultry but like to use water for most other cooks.

Last edited:
13th day of the 13th year, 10.5 hrs, and a fairly significant rainfall later, and we have pulled pork:

IMG_1267_zps79095cb7.jpg

I whipped together a finishing sauce and portioned out some pork to try it ...but I think I'll keep looking for something a bit better.

13th day of the 13th year, 10.5 hrs, and a fairly significant rainfall later, and we have pulled pork:

IMG_1267_zps79095cb7.jpg

I whipped together a finishing sauce and portioned out some pork to try it ...but I think I'll keep looking for something a bit better.

Who needs the sauce, looks good just like that!

Dwain, love the maverick cover, I usually use a zip lock but now i'm gonna try your method. Looks like it will hold up to wind better!

Back