Cornish Game Hens on the new WSM

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
This was my first cook on the new Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" (my Christmas present to myself;)). Ironically, the first cook was a high temperature cook. I took two frozen Cornish Game Hens, removed the back bone with meat scissors, and halved them through the breast. I put one chimney full of Kingsford in the cooker (lit) then assembled it and waited for ten minutes for it to get up to heat. I put the game hens with the breasts towards the center and the thighs towards the outside of the top rack. 45 minutes later, I had four halves of perfectly cooked, crispy skin, and juicy interiors. I brined the chickens for one hour (just salt in the brine). One chicken I used Cook's Classic Barbecue rub which is simply black pepper, salt, and a bit of cayenne. The other chicken, I used Slap Yo' Momma's Cajun seasoning for the rub (NOT Slap Yo' Daddy). I rested the chickens under a piece of foil for five minuted before eating.

While all of this was going on my wife made sides of asparagus and rice pilaf. It was a downright scrumtious meal in every way. My wife thought the Cajun seasoning was a bit hot for her - she preferred the Cook's Classic. Me, I like the Cajun seasoning just fine, thank you:D.

Right off the smoker:

CornishGameHensontheWSM-4350_1600x1066.jpg

Plated:

CornishGameHensontheWSM-4352_1600x1067.jpg

It had been YEARS since I had Cornish Game Hens but I will state for the record, this is NOT the last time. My wife concurs. As an aside, this is about as easy a cook as you will do (but also extremely satisfying).

Dale53

Last edited:
Great looking meal!!!! The Cajun seasoning did you use the red or the yellow can? I like the yellow can as it is not too overpowering

Looks great! We tried Cornish game hens for the first time a few years back, but haven't done them again since. Not sure why, since we both really liked them. Seeing these pics makes me think it's about time we tried them again.

My oh my--what a great looking cook! I haven't had those little birds in years either, but your post reminded me how good they taste!

Aaron;
I foiled the water pan and ran it dry for a high heat cook. So, you guessed right:).

One other comment - the wings were AWESOME! Could not believe how juicy and tasty those tiny wings were. I'll be doing these again and SOON!

Dale53

What a nice cook. Looks delicious. I had to look up what a cornish game hen was, we don't have them here, or at least not under that name.
I have learned to remove the water pan (thanks a lot Mr. Lampe) when doing high heat chicken cooks on the WSM. In my experience that is a even better approach than a foiled water pan. You might want to try that as well.

Back