Stainless Steel U-Bolts at Lowes

Mike Leiter

TVWBB Pro
Went to Lowes to start getting some supplies for mods for the 22" WSM on the way.I was looking at the stainless U-Bolts in the drawer again and the last time they were 6.00 or so each and was surprised to find them all marked at 1.60, 1.15 and .80c each. Needless to say I bought all they had in varying lengths for the smoker and other projects in future around the house. Only needed two for the lower grate but could use some for the charcoal bin if needed. These were the 5/16" versions.
Just wanted to let others know if they need any for this mod or others to check Lowes right now and see if yours has dropped the price...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/mleiter/IMAG0396Medium.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/mleiter/IMAG0397Medium.jpg

Nice find Mike. Those prices are around the regular zinc prices.

PS - use the IMG link on photobucket and your pics will show up in the post.
Example - this is what you posted
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...0397Medium.jpg

It would look like this

Nice find Mike. Those prices are around the regular zinc prices.

PS - use the IMG link on photobucket and your pics will show up in the post.
Example - this is what you posted
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...0397Medium.jpg

It would look like this

I was going to do that but the pictures are larger and makes the page load slower for those with slower connection speeds so went with direct link. I usually do post the img links.. They just dropped those prices as I looked at them last week and they were all $6.00 plus on them. The whole stainless drawer had the yellow price drop stickers on them...I may pick up some more at another store as I have a house on the lake with docks so they are great to use around water too.

Last edited:
I usually do post the img links..
Ah, ok... And I understand what you mean about the larger pictures. The size I typically use on my motorcycle forum were huge when I posted one here.
Had to make adjustments so I didn't bloat the screen. :cool:

Thanks. I use the u bolts on my lower grate for handles. Got all of them done right now, but who knows when I might need some for another smoker.

Wow! What a difference a year makes. I went to Lowe's yesterday to buy a couple of u-bolts for my bottom grate (WSM 18.5"). The ones I wanted were $8.25 each and I would need extra nuts and lock nuts and the extra plates. I could buy a gold plated grate for that amount. I guess I am cheap but that's over the top! I didn't bring any home.

Oh well, some days you catch the bus and some days the bus catches you...

Dale53

UPDATE!
It's terrible when you document your own "cheapness" (I prefer the term frugal). At any rate, today I made up my mind to get the u-bolts for the 18.5" WSM. Guess what, Lowe's didn't have them at any price (just tiny ones):(.

So, I was determined. After a hardware store, an auto parts store, I ended up at a Farm Supply store (Rural King). They had them there for $2.49 each (one u-bolt, two nuts and one cross plate). I had to buy four sets (less than half what I would have had to pay at Lowes as per my post above). At any rate, I came home with the parts and it was nearly dark. There were three deer in the neighbors yard:rolleyes:, and the mosquitoes were out in force. I installed the handles and am walking around just under 10' tall (I know, I know, pitiful:eek:).

It is a worthy modification. It's easy, too. I bought the 5/16" x 2.5" spread of sufficient height to work well with heavy gloves (these have to work when the smoker is HOT, of course).

Thanks to all who recommended this course of action...
FWIW
Dale53 (with a smile on his face...) Happy Smokin':wsm:

Here are the pictures of my modification using Stanley brand 5/16"x2"x4½" stainless steel u-bolts costing $2.49 each u-bolt with bottom plate and two nuts. I had to buy four sets to get two bottom plates and four nuts necessary for the installation. Total cost was (regular price) $2.49x4=$9.96 plus tax. I am extremely happy with the modification. These u-bolts are not too large so as to interfere with food placement but big enough to handle while hot wearing heavy gloves:

Further, the bottom plates are JUST big enough to cover the center five crossmembers on the grate for a secure installation when the grate is loaded with meat and for whatever reason needs to move.

Thanks for watching...

Dale53

Last edited:
Is the purpose of this mod to add handles to the grate? When I first saw it, I thought they might be pillars to stack another grate on top of. I guess it could be used for both.

I have just purchased an 18.5". I would have bought the 22", if I could have gotten one locally. I'm going to be cooking a brisket and 2 slabs of ribs this weekend. I'm wishing I had more room now. I guess I'll have to cut one slab or use a rib rack. Seeing this post though, I'm thinking I can expand my cooking area if use the U-bolts as pillars to add another grate.

Darren.

You a have plenty of room. One trick on the ribs is to roll them and put a skewer through each end so they stand on their side. You can easily get 3 racks of BB's on a single WSM 18" grate. Put the brisket on the lower rack and let the pork fat drip on it, mmmm. Pork fat rules!

Mike

Is the purpose of this mod to add handles to the grate? When I first saw it, I thought they might be pillars to stack another grate on top of. I guess it could be used for both.

I have just purchased an 18.5". I would have bought the 22", if I could have gotten one locally. I'm going to be cooking a brisket and 2 slabs of ribs this weekend. I'm wishing I had more room now. I guess I'll have to cut one slab or use a rib rack. Seeing this post though, I'm thinking I can expand my cooking area if use the U-bolts as pillars to add another grate.

Yea. I've heard about rolling them up. I'd prefer to not have to do that. But, I may do it this time. Will wood skewers survive the cook?

Darren;
I cut my racks in half. Using a rib rack (with six slots) I can put six halves on each grate. That's a lot of ribs. I LOVE my 18.5". If you customarily cook for large groups (on a regular basis) then the 22.5" DOES have more capacity.

However, for me, it would be terrible over kill. My 18.5 is super efficient and will do all I need to do. Someone on here, earlier, has a report with pictures that shows him doing about 60 lbs of Boston Butts on an 18.5". That is a LOT of pulled pork...

If you only occasionally need more capacity, you might want to consider adding an extra Mini WSM. You can put one of them together for way less than $100.00. The whole idea (of the mini) appeals to me. Talk about efficiency for smaller cooks...

Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Robert,

I don't have any choice. I'll have to cut mine tomorrow. I tried them out to see how they would fit. They didn't....

9634013712_d915b1ddf9_b.jpg

Hi Darren,

One idea would be to trim them competition style. A full rack will have 13 bones. The outside bones are either too big or too small to be used in the turn-in boxes. So a competition trimmed rack will have 9 - 10 bones. Should then fit well on your WSM. Just cook the removed bones separately.

Hi Darren,

One idea would be to trim them competition style. A full rack will have 13 bones. The outside bones are either too big or too small to be used in the turn-in boxes. So a competition trimmed rack will have 9 - 10 bones. Should then fit well on your WSM. Just cook the removed bones separately.

Good suggestion. Thanks. I ended up cutting these in half. I'm still tempted to get that 22" WSM, though.

Darren;
I am NOT trying to convince you, but just mention what I observed. I first did ribs on my OTG. I used two fire bricks and did them (the ribs) indirect (of course:rolleyes:). I used a rib rack and left the ribs full length (St. Louis cut). I learned that the ends were getting over cooked.

Now, when I do ribs cut in half on my WSM 18.5" they are perfectly done, end to end. No more overcooked ends. Keep in mind that after three hours, I swap my ribs around so that they are evenly cooked. I do appreciate the "more perfect" ribs than what I experienced before. I have absolutely NO problems with half racks. I, personally, doubt that I will ever need more than six full racks of ribs (the capacity of my WSM using both grates with rib racks). If you regularly do more, then you might want to consider the bigger unit. For me, I am a happy camper with my 18.5".

FWIW
Dale53

Most of the time, I'll just be doing one or two racks. I guess it's just presentation, but I've just had some hang up about not lying them flat on the grate. I can always trim them as Bob suggested.

I have a lot to learn about smoking meat in general. These were for today's lunch. So, I don't really know how they turned out yet. But, they looked overcooked to me. Do they looked overcooked to you?

9637589815_998a222e3c_c.jpg

Thanks.

Darren C;
It's not so much how they look outside but rather, how they look INSIDE. I cook my ribs until I can twist them just a bit and they start coming apart. That's when I consider them done. They must be juicy inside (not dry) and I prefer them to leave the impression of my teeth when I take a bite. Falling off the bone is over cooked to me. However, it is YOUR preference that counts. Cook them to the degree of doneness that YOU and YOUR guests prefer. Sometimes that takes a time or two before you hit your stride. Don't be put off, if they are not perfect. Keep a log and refer to the log when you do them again. In no time, you'll be cooking them ON DEMAND to YOUR preferences. THAT is when you have arrived!!

By the way, those ribs look quite tasty to me. Let us know how they were when you ate them...

Good smokin',:wsm:
Dale53

Last edited:

Back