My first Pulled Lamb Shoulder

Gil Matar

TVWBB Fan
Started with this cut:

IMAG0107 by gilaadm, on Flickr

Cut off the neck portion. Put garlic slivers in cuts in fat in both the shoulder section and in the neck. Marinated overnight in Guiness, Apple Juice, Rice Vinegar, garlic and chopped mint. Next morning patted dry and rubbed with a paste of Zatar, Rosemary, Garlic, Cumin, Brown Sugar and Olive Oil. Seared both parts, and re-rubbed. Here are both parts after searing and re-rubbing:

Lamb shoulder and neck after searing, rubbed and ready for smoker by gilaadm, on Flickr

Minion method. Hickory and mesquite chunks. On grate for two hours:

Shoulder and neck on smoker after 2 hrs by gilaadm, on Flickr

Then put large shoulder section in a foil pan and covered it, with apple juice in pan. Wrapped the neck in it's own foil packet (double wrapped, heavy duty foil). Two hours later, after internal temp of shoulder section hit 200:

Smoked lamb shoulder falling off the bone by gilaadm, on Flickr

and here is the neck:

Smoked lamb neck by gilaadm, on Flickr

My neighbors came by. The smell drew them to me. One of them, who used to work for Weber and is an expert in this stuff said: A+! Just enough smoke. falling off the bone.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Last edited:
That looks really good.

I like lamb, but it is hard to find and pricy around here. Sam's is the most reasonable by far. They have de-boned leg-of-lamb for about $20 each. I grabbed one of those and some lamb chops when I was there yesterday to get pork butts. I've also got a rack of lamb in the freezer.

Time for a dead sheep meat feast.

Thanks everyone. It was absolutely delicious. Tender, smokey, juicy. And the neck was buttery with all of the fat from the bones.

Yes. I put on my insulated rubber grilling gloves and got right into it. The bones came right out, no resistance. Then I pulled the meat into shredded pieces and small chunks. We let the meat rest in the juices for a while, then drained off the juices, heated them up, and used them as a gravy. It was better than I thought it would be.

Thanks again everyone. I really love the WSM. And now that I've been using it for a few years I feel very comfortable trying new things. In this case my friend who was hosting Thanksgiving told me that he would have enough food. So he said that I could make whatever I wanted, and to use this as an opportunity to make something that I had always wanted to try. Mission accomplished. :)

Back