The typical mods, plus a few I haven't seen done.

Chad Bman

TVWBB All-Star
Being a new WSM owner, I went through 20 pages of mods before I started my projects. With that info, here's what I came up with for mine.

After assembly, I wasn't too keen on the lower rack/water pan supports. Only read one thread/post where the water pan fell in.
(while cooking a big ol' turkey if I remember correctly) I decided a little cheap insurance was in store.

Material - Four 2" SS machine head screws, fiber washers, SS metal washers, & SS nuts.

WeberSmokeyMountain009.jpg

WeberSmokeyMountain031.jpg

WeberSmokeyMountain018.jpg

Lower Rack Handles
Actually picked up 4 so I could use 2-sets of nuts & bottom plates per handle.

WeberSmokeyMountain019.jpg

WeberSmokeyMountain020.jpg

Charcoal ring & rack
Yes, the typical mod. Picked up an additional charcoal grate, turned it 90 degrees, and wired it all together.
Used 10" concrete anchor bolts instead of eye bolts as I feel I can get a better grip.

WeberSmokeyMountain023.jpg

LOVE how a replacement 22" charcoal grate fits perfectly inside of the 22.5" WSM charcoal ring. Treats my OCD well. lol

WeberSmokeyMountain021.jpg

Edit to add ----

I picked up a Maverick ET-732 and needed a way to route the probes into the smoker. I liked the notch idea over the grommets.
Made this mod a while back and have used it numerous times with nothing but ease.
0AF2A5D9-1D07-43DE-A448-167777D91F80-5980-000002C34459FA10.jpg

Plus I added a little custom touch to the Cajun Bandit door while I was creating my mini.
That thread found here - http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39966-My-*WEBER*-mini-build
FA064453-207F-4194-82D0-E3A15EC3CCA1-5980-000002C33398A04F.jpg

Last edited:
The Lid Hanger
This is one mod I did the most research on. Gathered a few ideas and came up with exactly what I wanted. :D
Took a couple of 2" X 2" angle brackets and bolted them to the lid. Then cut the other side at the bolt hole to create the hook that hangs on the lip.

A picture story how I got to the end result.

Home Depot sold these brackets in packages of 4 so I installed 2 hangers on my lid.
Used 1/4" SS machine screws that were a 1/2" long. Fiber washers, flat washers, & acorn nuts.
WeberSmokeyMountain025.jpg

A little blue tape to mark on, I set the bracket on the lip of the lid and just eyeballed the bracket holes with a sharpie.
WeberSmokeyMountain006.jpg

With the cooking grates removed & a drop cloth draped over the WSM, the upside down lid fit perfectly for drilling.
WeberSmokeyMountain008.jpg

Holes drilled & brackets bolted to the lid.
WeberSmokeyMountain010.jpg

I used a Dremel to cut/sand the bracket at the sharpie line. (just shy of the bracket hole)
WeberSmokeyMountain012.jpg

Finished product
WeberSmokeyMountain026.jpg

WeberSmokeyMountain028.jpg

WeberSmokeyMountain033.jpg

WeberSmokeyMountain027.jpg

The only thing left is handles on the middle section. Since I'm OCD, I'll get some Weber handles to put on there. Really like that look.

BIG thanks go out to everyone who ever posted in the modification section.

Last edited:
Nice mod post. I use genie garage door handles to the mid section to lift it when/if a "hot squat" is required.

You gotta get a few cooks in to get the shine off the inside of that puppy!

Last edited:
I use genie garage door handles to the mid section

I REALLY contemplated these handles at Home Depot. I like the wider mounting tabs to help distribute torque on the center section.
Plus, they're only $3.67 each. HERE

18ca7882-5ceb-4338-80d4-b6d9419b3d78_300.jpg

EDIT - After a day or three, I decided to just install these.

First step - marking out the location. (after marking a center & horizontal line, I used the handle to mark out the 4 drill spots)
WeberSmokeyMountain014.jpg

The handle in it's current shape didn't fit so well on the round drum of the WSM
WeberSmokeyMountain021-1.jpg

With a rag to protect the painted finish, a pair of pliers adjusted for the curvature nicely.
WeberSmokeyMountain023-1.jpg

Stainless Steel hardware & fiber washers
WeberSmokeyMountain025-1.jpg

Installed
WeberSmokeyMountain029.jpg

WeberSmokeyMountain033-1.jpg

I like the low profile of these handles and the cover goes on without even slowing down, but plenty of grip space.
All that's left is the Cajun Bandit SS door (already on order) and this puppy is done. Now to fire it up!

WeberSmokeyMountain030.jpg

Last edited:
These are some of the best mods I've seen. On the grate handles, for food safety, does it matter what type of metal is used?

On the grate handles, for food safety, does it matter what type of metal is used?
What you see in the pics is just zinc coated. While researching materials to use, (zinc/stainless/galvanized) I came to the conclusion this smoker will never get hot enough where the off gasses will become an issue. The debate is between 800 & 1600 degrees. Clearly, that's waaaay more than we'll ever be seeing. Even at those temps, the SS we all love to use is actually more harmful.

This is what sold me on it. Read the description on this grill and pay attention to what the charcoal grate is coated with. Puts me at ease with my little bitty handles. lol
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Uniflame-Rectangle-Charcoal-Grill/10828983

Last edited:
I also installed these lid hangers and did two as well, one to the left side as I can grab the front handle and top and slide it over, except I find hooking it onto the handle for the center section. I had been doing the handle on handle method, but never fully trusted it..........thanks for the idea Chad........................d

The Egg --- works quite well.
35FD2839-7FC1-46B8-9994-77AF0233BEA5-567-00000035D17B8B98_zps81f61a40.jpg

Which is more than I can say for the thermometer... I've known it was off for a while, but just informing anyone else who views the thread...
A9DED658-4731-44FE-ADDF-4EF2FF5852AE-567-000000358E89DF0D_zpsac2aead4.jpg

As you can see from the Food Temp (in a pork butt) the smoker has been running a while and it's not coming up to temp.
311D9714-F514-4201-B0E1-4D0907349A53-567-00000035302AF022_zps8b01e362.jpg

2F86D42D-7C72-4947-9C25-498E8E9F6CA1-567-000000357165E7A4_zps0c848aa3.jpg

Hey Chad,
Thanks for your post with pictures. I used your post as a "guide" for my first 22.5 WSM. I'm curious what you used to tie the charcoal grates and ring together with?

Thanks for the shout out and I'm glad you found this stuff helpful. :D

In the concrete aisle of Home Depot/Lowes, they sold a bag of wire ties called rebar ties. Nothing more than steel wire. Came in a bag of 100 for a few bucks. Twist the ties with a pair of pliers and snip off the extra. Did the same on my 18" WSM, the charcoal ring I made for the mini, and even a ring I made for the Performer. I got my money's worth from the bag of wire ties. 8)

Back