WSM grommet mod all done!

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
This turned out to be pretty easy. Once I got all the material gathered up. Went to the local electrical supply house and got a 2" piece of 1/2" OD running thread (which will make about 3 of these things) and 2 lock nuts. Price: $1.06.

Then I got a step drill bit at harbor freight for $5.99

Figured out where I wanted the grommet , put some painters tape , drilled a 1/8" pilot hole then drilled to the 1/2" step with the big drill and its ready for the grommet.

I probably cut 3/4" of the running thread for the grommet and after smoothing the cut end and de-burring the hole with a round file , that little chunk of pipe threaded into the 1/2" hole nice as you please. Tightened up the nuts and there you go. Only took about a half hour .....and 10 minutes Of that was me lookin for my hacksaw!

So the whole thing cost , like 7 bucks and now I can have my thermo cables out of the way. No more juggling the lid! Bring on that turkey!

Last edited:
Looks great and is one of the first mods I plan on doing to mine when I get it.. Picked up the parts already as well as a can of Rustoleum Hi-Temp grill paint in gloss black. Hope it will blend the pipe and nuts in some on the outside as I know the inside wont matter..LOL Those step bits are great and have acquired a few sizes of them over the yrs for various projects.

Hi Frank,

Been looking forward to doing this up until I saw your post. This may seem a bit anal, but do you have a measurement for your hole location? I just want to be sure before I start this mod. Thanks

Hi Frank,

Been looking forward to doing this up until I saw your post. This may seem a bit anal, but do you have a measurement for your hole location? I just want to be sure before I start this mod. Thanks

sorry i didnt see this til today , bro.
you know what , i just picked a spot kind of midway between the top and bottom grate so i could go either way or both and i planned it so the wires would come out the right side. but you could measure if it makes you feel better. im kind of a "eyeball it" kinda guy....:p

Are you feeding 2 probes thru the one hole or did you drill 2 holes? I'm considering doing this to feedthru my 2 Maverick probes like others did so I'm assuming 2 holes are being drilled.

Last edited:
Brian, on my grommet if you feed the probes in one at a time four wires will fit through the hole. 1/2" OD grommet

Brian, on my grommet if you feed the probes in one at a time four wires will fit through the hole. 1/2" OD grommet

Yes they will and I agree. Had 4 going through mine last week when I did 4 butts. Probably could have put 1 or 2 more through there if needed but it would have been snug. Like Tim said you just need to feed and remove them one at a time.

Back