raycort Cast Iron Grates??????

Bob LeFever

TVWBB Member
Has anyone out there tried these for the 22" Weber Grills? They are available on Amazon, but I have serious doubts about the effectiveness of them, especially at a $90 price. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

There are a lot of members that use them including myself. Well worth it IMO. look in the photo section area, you will see a bunch of them

Bob, if you're talking about CRAYCORT http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/ yes, they are worth the dough.
Many members here have them, as i do... i love them! I have four or five kettles, so i keep them on one all the time. If you like serious grill marks on steaks, chops even veggies, you'll love the Craycort.
Like many grillin' and que'in' items, the investment can be steep, butt i'm glad i took the plunge.

DSCN1335.JPG

DSCN1338.JPG

Last edited:
Put me down for another yes vote.
Planing on getting them for my GA and SJ. And when I can find an 18.5 kettle cheap enough,I'll get them for it too.

Last edited:
Thinking about getting one for my Performer. Can you light a chimney starter on the Performer with the frame of the craycort in or do you have to take it out to fit the starter over the burner?

@ Joel --
I use a Weber chimney and it's too big to fit inside.
I just remove one of the wedges and then take out the frame and other three wedges in one piece.

Dan Moore, I'm planning on getting a Smokey Joe soon and want to get the Craycort CI for it since the first job of the Smokey Joe will be searing smoked chops and so forth. I am guessing that they work better on the Smokey Joe due to the closeness of the charcoal to them, closer than they would be on 22.5 inch kettle. I'm just curious what your experience is comparing the standard kettle and Smokey Joe, in terms of CI food grates?

Does TVWBB get credit for ordering the grates for the Smoky Joe too ??

Yes. Just make sure to enter Amazon using the link in this thread or any of the Amazon links at the top of the bulletin board homepage. Once there, add any items to your cart and check-out. TVWBB gets credit for everything you purchase, even non-BBQ related items.

Thanks for asking!
Chris

Chris, Howdy;

Yes. Just make sure to enter Amazon using the link in this thread or any of the Amazon links at the top of the bulletin board homepage. Once there, add any items to your cart and check-out. TVWBB gets credit for everything you purchase, even non-BBQ related items.

Thanks for asking!
Chris

Thanks, wasn't sure how all that 'stuff' worked, good to know. :cool:

hank

Steve,
The CI grates on the Smokey Joe do get really hot so I use less charcoal than before. I tend to bank the coals to one side when grilling chicken but using direct heat, you get some great sear marks on steaks and burgers. I actually purchased a grill/griddle grate from Craycort for the SJ, but I have only used it once. The regular grates do everything that I need.

Comparing the CI grates on the 22.5" and the SJ, the results are similar because of the amounts of charcoal and adjustable vents. Even with a greater distance in height on the 22.5", you can get it really hot, comparable to the SJ. Bottom line: they are both a big improvement over the standard Weber grates. One thing about the CI grates on the SJ: check the wing nuts on the legs regularly. The weight of the grates seems to require you to tighten the legs frequently.

Hope this helped!

Dan

I am heavily thinking about buying them for my 22.5 (already have them for my SJ & my GA). If I put away a dollar for every time I stopped and seriously thought about buying the 22.5 Craycort I'd have enough money for it already. If I do buy them I will definitely click on the link so TVWBB gets credit.

Thanks for the heads up -

Laura

Those are awesome. I see that you can't get the cast iron grates at webber any more. These may be something I get soon for my new OTG.

I don't have the Craycort CI, but I did get the Stok CI grate for my 22.5 kettle when HD was blowing them out last year. It was like 30 buck or thereabouts. I really love the CI! My steak grilling has been elevated to a whole new level and my hubster couldn't be happier! I sure would like to get my hands on a Lodge CI grate for my kettle! :p

Back