I like big Butt's *PIC's*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bren H

TVWBB Fan
Here we go it's my first over nighter and I have 2 shoulders on, one picnic and one Butt the picnic is being done Mr brown's style and the butt with the mustard rub. This is going to be a interesting one because the picnic I feel is enhanced and may be a bit salty but the butt is fresh, so fresh that the butcher brought out a 1/2 pig like it was cut straight down the middle trotters and all intact and cut the butt out right in front of me including some ribs for tommorow. I took some pictures before I put them on and I'll add more tomorrow when its finished.... photo's of Butts

Bren, nice pics! That butt does look fresh! Are you sing the minion method tonight? I hope so, other wise its going to be a long night for you!

Cool deck and nice landscape!! Hopefully we'll get to see finished pics!!

Yep Greg the minion method using lump, filled the charcoal ring to over flowing so I hope it will hold out ontil the morning, I'm nursing it at the moment with a few beer's Temp's seem to be holding fine though.

It's miller tonight, day off tommorrow so I'll stay up an make sure the temp's are stable before I hit the hay..

Miller?? You can get that over there?
icon_razz.gif

Good luck on the cook tonight. Must be 2 or 3 am there..

Bren,
Great pics. But I was wondering, do you have anything under your WSM to protect that beautiful deck?

Rath *doin' pork this w/e*

Funny you should say that, after the first smoke I realised that it would be easier just to keep the WSM off the deck, after all I have two 22 1/2" grills on it already, so at the moment I'm thinking of moving it to a more sheltered spot nearer the house so I can attend to it during smokes, I'm also planing to make an enclosure for it, we get alot of windy weather over here so I have a plan in mind....Will post photos when its finished.
icon_wink.gif

Hey, Bren...you awake yet?...Looks to be bout 6AM. How are your temps doin? Great pic (s?). I saw your deck and smoker...sign in?

When I got up this morning the WSM was down to 200F, we had heavy rain during the night so much so that there is water in the ashes when I raked the coals I could hear hissing as pieces of lump fell into the water, the butt has a internal temp of 154F at the moment, my BIG concern at the moment is the black stuff that has fallen from the inside of the lid into the meat I added a photo of it, does this happen often and is the meat still safe to eat????.http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3228380093&p=4138242600&idx=12 IS THIS SAFE TO EAT

Dale, I'd say it OK too and I think I know why the black stuff fell off the inside of the lid is because a couple of days ago I bent the lid into shape and this must have cracked the lair of sutt on the lid, it's definetly not porcelain anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bren H:
my BIG concern at the moment is the black stuff that has fallen from the inside of the lid into the meat I added a photo of it, does this happen often and is the meat still safe to eat? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bren--It's just carbonized gunk-you're okay. Here's what Weber's Dave Estren has to say:

"We get a lot of Weber customers who contact us with the complaint that their inside lid paint is peeling. Being that the porcelain enamel is fired on at about 1500 degrees, this isn't very likely. What they're seeing is carbonized grease that has built-up to the point that it starts to peel away. Your waterpan has a similair problem. After a while, the debris that falls into your waterpan just needs to be removed. Here's how to clean both lids and waterpans:

Starting with a cool grill, scrape away any loose carbon build up using a plastic scraper or dull putty knife. Wash the inside of the lid or waterpan using a soft cloth and hot soapy water. To remove stubborn build up, scrub gently with a wet soapy steel wool cleaning pad such as SOS. Do not use lemon-based cleaners. Rinse thoroughly. To prevent grease buildup and rapid reappearance of the flaking, wipe the grill lid or waterpan with a paper towel when the grill is cooling down after cooking."

Hope this helps. And how's the cook going now?

Well Bren, seeing that no one has asked yet...any chance you can get me tickets for the Ryder Cup in 2006 at the K-Club in Co. Kildare?

Absent that...how about a tee time at the Ballybunion Club in Kerry?

Just kidding, unless of course you can! Hope your cook turns out great!!

Kevin, The cook is going fine I have a internal temp of 173F in the bigger butt at the moment and it's now in hour number 14, shouldn't be too long now. I also added a couple of racks of ribs about an hour ago for something to nibble on while the butts are resting.
icon_wink.gif

Bruce, Should I hear of any tickets I'll keep you in mind.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi Bren
Sounds like everything is going fine.
I was going to ask the question about cooking on that type of deck. I have the same kind. I've thought the shelter of our chestnut tree might provide some rain protection for overnighters.

One thing I've noticed with butts is that it's very difficult to overcook them. Just keep smoking, just keep smoking ...

I've basically retired mine for a while ('til a party Nov 5) but each weekend I get the urge ...
I'm going to wait until it's a freezing cold day in December then fire the sucker up.

morgan

Morgan--
Retired your WSM? Retired your WSM?
But it will get so lonely if it has to wait all the way to 5 Nov... Get a butt on there boy
icon_smile.gif

Sounds like verything is going well Bren!!

Can't wait for the finished pictures. I wanna Q this weekend, but, it promises rain for the next 6 days or so!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back