Temperatures & Smoking

M Menendez

TVWBB Fan
Since smoking is very sensitive to temperatures I am wanting to know if anyone here is using the Thermapen? If so is it worth the crazy price they ask? I know I have seen a few of the guys on TV BBQ challenges use them.

Thermapen

Thanks
Mike

Not really neccessary but I've found lots of uses for it around the kitchen since getting one. Has quickly settled lots of arguments between me and the wife on whether something was done or not
icon_wink.gif

They are great for grilling, smoking poultry items, any kind of cooking where you need a quick reading of something to determine it's done. It lets you get in and out without losing much heat in whatever you are cooking with where an more traditional food thermometer might take up to a minute to give you a reading.

You'll find most of your BBQ meats like pork butt, ribs and brisket are better determined to be done by touch and feel, not by temps.

If you are looking for something to monitor smoker temps, check out the Tel-Tru line of thermometers.

The other thing: traditional analog bimetal therms shouldn't be used in thin items like chicken and burgers because they require nearly 3 inches of probe depth and, worse, the temp reading is an average, not a tip reading. Not very safe nor accurate.

Alternatively, a digital tip-sensitive thermistor therm is an option. Much more accurate than a bimetal but less expensive than a thermocouple. A good model can be ordered via this pdf.

Ditto on the PDT300. My son used to be a mgr at a steak joint - his company used the PDT300. The link is to the current model. I ordered 3, to for me and one for a friend.

Foodservicenow wants about $10 bucks to ship it ground to my location vs the $21 fee and $2.50 shipping from Kevin's link. I guess that could vary depending on your location.

Shipping is free from HITM if you order 2 or more also.

Just an updated, I faxed over the order form for a PDT 300 to HI-TM on Tuesday, had it waiting in my mail on Thursday. Nice little thermometer for the price.

Back