BBQ sauce question.

Charlie J

How long is it safe to keep a bbq sauce after opening it and putting it in the refrigerator?

The reason I asked is a friend gave me a gal of bbq sauce. I found it today in the back of my extra ref I keep. I opened it about 2 years ago. Today I opened it and it looked, smelled and I ever took a small taste. Everything seemed ok but I'm ready to throw it away if I should.

I've never kept anything this long.

Funny you should mention this. I have a gallon jug of Bullseye BBQ sauce that has been in my fridge since I moved here in April 07, where I brought it from my house in Salinas, where I purchased it nearly a year earlier. So some point in the middle of 06 I got it.

I originally got it for mega batches of Keri's Hog Apple Beans.

It's nearly gone, so at this point I can just as easily throw it out. I think I used some a week ago, for some chicken, and it tasted perfect, and no stomach aches
icon_smile.gif

I'm really not cheap, I promise.

Charlie-

I am not a health safety professional, but I can tell you I've had ketchup and yellow mustard in my fridge for probably two years and not had ill effects. At least, the folks to whom, I server these condiments haven't reported ill effects.
icon_smile.gif

I don't use either of them, but I keep them on hand for guests... probably should buy smaller bottles. Anyhow, these commercial brands seem to have enough preservatives to last a lifetime. If the sauce has a decent amount of vinegar (acid) and has been kept at a nice cold temp, I would think it would be safe to consume. I'm sure you could create a much better flavor with fresh ingredients, but if you're really looking to use the old sauce I'd wager it's probably OK.

I'll re-emphasize though that I'm not a food scientist.
icon_smile.gif

Charlie, I can't assure you that the quality will be the greatest, but it should be safe to eat. Look inside the jar and make sure there's no mold growing, otherwise you should be fine.

Erik

Vinegar and other acids will keep sauces and condiments quite safe if they are a predominent item, as is the case with prepared mustard, most ketchup, many Q sauces. Despite what the label may say (often 'refrigerate after opening'), these items do not actually require refrigeration for safety. That said, refrigeration does markedly prolong the quality of the product. They will last a very long time but the quality will deteriorate, albeit much more slowly if refrigerated.

Back