Bay Area, CAL (South Bay) Butcher/Store recommendation

G

Hola Gang. First time poster, reader for months. The wife gave me a WSM for Xmas that she ordered the previous September! (She wanted to make sure it came in time.)

Anway I love my now slightly modded WSM and have done a couple of smokes that came out great! I did a test overnighter before my big smoke next weekend but need advice on where in the south bay or penninsula would be a good source for Butt?

I purchased ribs from Andronico's, and some brisket and butt from Draegers and they were awesome but I want to see if there is a slightly more affordable alternative than just going to Safeway. I have heard good things about Costco, but I have a pretty tough crowed to please so I don't want to blow it on the quality of the meat for the party. I would need 4 butts and a brisket for the in-law's 50th anniversary party. I guess I'd be prepared to pay for good quality stuff as the butt from draegers was simply awesome- but I didn't know if there were any other butchers around.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for such an awesome site Chris!

-Doug

I've had good luck at the asian food store at the corner of Warm Springs Blvd and Mission in south Fremont for full briskets (I think it is named Lion Foods). They have a great meat selection, but you have to get them to go in the back and get it untrimmed. Their english is not so good, so write down what you want and explain simply. They have USDA choice in cryovac. I got a full brisket maybe 12+ pounds for about the same as a 5 lb flat at Safeway. You'll have to do the trimming yourself.

Safeway can be good also, you have to ask to check the back if you don't see what you want. Same thing at Costco.

I haven't found a good old fashioned butcher around here (Fremont).

-gbeck

Thanks for the advice, Gary. I think there is a Lion market over here in Sunnyvale- or up off Stevens Creek in Cupertino. If I have to I can swing over to Fremont as I know where that location is.

thanks!

-Doug

Doug-

The CostCo boneless butts have never turned out anything but great for me. I wish they still carried the bone-in variety, but it doesn't really matter in the end. The same goes for the spare ribs. They are consistently good, I usually try to get two-packs that weigh in at about 9lbs total.

If you REALLY want a good butcher, Dittmer's in Mountain View is top notch (off San Antonio Road across from Sears.) Herr Buber (Dittmer) makes some of the best sausages you will ever taste along with several other smoked german delicacies. He also runs a full-service butcher shop and can take care of just about all of your meat-related needs. When I cook brisket, I usually get it there because he's the only place near me that has packer cut, choice-grade briskets (you can find Select grade at Smart 'n' Final, but I prefer choice.) He's not cheap, but you are paying for the excellent service. Oh, and he has been providing our family's Xmas standing rib roast for going on 15 years now.

If you ever find a reliable source for beef ribs (full racks not cut up), let me know. I crave them from time to time, but rarely ever find anything by VERY trimmed ones.

Hope that helps.

Rich G.

Hi Rich,

I drive past Dittmer's all the time and saw them in the phone book this morning. I didn't know they did "meats"- just thought they focused on sausages and such. Good to know thanks!

BTW, I gave up our CostCo membership because I didn't go there often enough to justify the card. Maybe I need to reconsider it if I saved $$$ on smoker meat.

-Doug

Hi Doug - welcome to the show here.

The Big Man on the block here - Chris, who operates this site, is from San Jose. I think I've read in some of his articles (Chris, correct me if I'm wrong) that he often gets meat from a local butcher. But I seem to also remember seeing one that had a Safeway or Sam's Club label. I may just be crazy though. Regardless, he can weigh in on it.

I love Costco, but I don't like it for smoking meats. They only have boneless butts, and they come pretty mangled in my opinion. I far prefer bone-in butts. Also, they only sell brisket flats. No full briskets at any Costco in the country.

Lots and lots of folks here talk about Sams Club. Apparently, they sell full briskets and bone-in butts. That's a better way to go, if that is true.

Anyhow, good luck and welcome aboard.

Adam-

If I'm not mistaken, Chris may have actually been referring to Dittmer's (I'm sure he'll chime in if he knows of another good butcher shop in the area.)

Doug, you MUST at least make a stop at Dittmer's. Even if you don't buy anything, the aroma is intoxicating!
icon_smile.gif

R

I go to Costco for pork butt, pork ribs, and chicken. Dittmers for brisket (ask for "whole brisket for Texas barbecue" and they'll know what you want). Unless there is a sale on USDA Choice brisket at Smart & Final on El Camino @ Grant Rd. in Mountain View, then I buy brisket there. You can usually get USDA Select brisket there all the time, but I prefer Choice.

Regards,
Chris

Awesome help on the hunt for meat folks!

If I can cram 4 butts in the smoker and still slide in a brisket, I may swing by Dittmers.

Thanks for the help!

...as a follow up.

I planned on going to Dittmers for a brisket and called them first to get their hours, etc. They said they "have to carry brisket now because of the VWBB web site" and that people come in all the time now because of it. Happy campers over at the meat joint to say the least.

Aaah the power of VWBB- how could I go this long not understanding it's power and reach!

-Doug

Back