oh no....need advice quick!

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Last night, I put two 5 lb. butts on the wsm at 7. I kept the temps about 245 (lid) for 2 hours. The wsm didn't want to go below 245 though, and kept rising. So, I had the vents almost completely closed. Then, some old friends of mine showed up at my house and we went out to do a little partying. And I completely forgot about the butts! So, this morning at 9 I remembered the wsm and went out to check the temperature...only 181 lid. Then I checked the meat...only about 150. Which means, I guess, that the butts have been in the danger zone for a LONG time (probably all night).

I wince to even ask, but should I throw them away? I was cooking for 11 people at 4pm today and it will be a huge dissapointment for all of them, but i don't want anyone to get sick.

A little partying, Phil? You forgot your butts!
icon_biggrin.gif

The danger zone is lower. Where are your temps now and did you check the butts in more than one place--and are they bone in or boneless?

Kevin,

At 9 this morning, the average temp of the meat was about 150 (checked in several places). The butts are bone-in. I immediately got the temps up to 255 lid (where it is now) at 9:30 this am. The butts do *look* beautiful...lots of bark.

I figure, wouldn't the 2 or 3 hours of (225 degree) heat in the beginning of the cook kill any bacteria on the outside of the roast? So maybe everything will be fine?

You should have a great dinner.

You're right: surface bacteria are killed instantly at those temps.

The top end of the danger zone is actually slightly over 127--140 is used as a safety measure.

Since it highly unlikely that the butts fell to inside the danger zone and languished there I wouldn't worry about it.

Kevin,

Thanks so much! I feel a lot better about the whole situation now. I was panicking there for awhile...trying to figure out how I would tell my whole family that father's day would be sans pulled pork.

Everything was fine. I continued cooking the butts and took them off at about 2pm. Wrapped in foil and then pulled them at 4. Actually one of the best butts I've had in a long time, believe it or not. But the best part...nobody is sick
icon_smile.gif

Lesson learned: Never forget your Q!

Back