Big Bob Gibson White Sauce

Gary - it grows on you, too. You can find several recipes for the white sauce on this site and others, but it's very simple to make - mayo, vinegar, perhaps a little horseradish, salt, pepper, maybe a dash of lemon juice, maybe a little cayenne.

By making your own, you can tweak the ingredients and ratios and get the sauce just to your liking.

The key seems to be to make the sauce up at least 24 hours ahead of time and let the flavors of the ingredients meld together before you use the sauce.

Enjoy!

Pat

Gary, can't really add to what Pat said other than to say that I can't see buying a bottle since it's so easy to make, and folks will go nuts for it on smoked poultry and even pulled pork. I'd recommend the Southern Living Mag. recipe, Ray Lampe's (Dr. BBQ), or lately I'm just tweaking the version that's in Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book." No need to mess with saucing the bird while on the cooker, and if you have a lots of folks over, have some at both ends of the table.
icon_wink.gif

Chris Lilly's book is suppose to be under my tree this Christmas. The sauce looks and taste fairly simple. I was surprised that a little mayo, vinegar, and pepper, etc... would taste that well, especially a sauce with that much mayo.

I do like the fact that it's not too sweet. Too many of the commercial sauces are too thick and sweet for my taste.

What is the name of Chris Lilly's new book? Dave R. was telling me about it but I cant remember the name of it. Sounds like I need to add it to my Christmas list as well
icon_smile.gif

Gary and Garry, I find Lilly's white sauce a little thin and light on the b. pepper, but that's probably just because of what I'm used to with other white sauces. Great recipe to start with though and if you like it as it is, just leave well enough alone...like you could do with every other single recipe from his book I've tried already....(aside from some temp/times suggestions.)

The BBG Memphis championship red sauce is stellar as well, but the two recipes I like the best so far are the Memphis dry spares and the brined pork chops with apple/cranberry maple glaze. I might not ever try another pork chop recipe, and I don't care how many bbq books you already have, if you don't mind trying other folk's recipes, GET IT.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Gary and Garry, I find Lilly's white sauce a little thin and light on the b. pepper, but that's probably just because of what I'm used to with other white sauces. Great recipe to start with though and if you like it as it is, just leave well enough alone...like you could do with every other single recipe from his book I've tried already....(aside from some temp/times suggestions.)

The BBG Memphis championship red sauce is stellar as well, but the two recipes I like the best so far are the Memphis dry spares and the brined pork chops with apple/cranberry maple glaze. I might not ever try another pork chop recipe, and I don't care how many bbq books you already have, if you don't mind trying other folk's recipes, GET IT.

+1

The BBG book has some great stuff in it. Have you tried the grilled potato salad recipe? I screwed it up a bit, and it still turned out really well.

we often make white sauce, but on a whim I ordered some from Great Lakes BBQ Supply. A bottle was $5, so I added it to my rub order. we finally got around to trying it the other day and I was a bit disappointed. I felt it had a strong egg flavor, which I assumed was the result of modifying the recipe for increased shelf life. It had a nice vinegar tang, but not much else going on. I highly recommend making one of the many cookbook or online versions of the white sauce recipe and avoiding the bottled stuff.

I probably have at least 3 books that have the BBG recipe and they are all slightly different

I have a ton of bbq books (I'm sure most of you do as well) but I'm always more than happy to add another as long as its decent.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
we often make white sauce, but on a whim I ordered some from Great Lakes BBQ Supply. A bottle was $5, so I added it to my rub order. we finally got around to trying it the other day and I was a bit disappointed. I felt it had a strong egg flavor, which I assumed was the result of modifying the recipe for increased shelf life. It had a nice vinegar tang, but not much else going on. I highly recommend making one of the many cookbook or online versions of the white sauce recipe and avoiding the bottled stuff.

You hit that on the head. The bottled stuff has an off egg flavor and too much acidity.

The freshly made stuff is much better.

The white sauce I made last week for a smoked turkey made many laps around the Thanksgiving table today! I wasn't sure it would go with creole injected and fried (or infra-fried) turkeys, but evidently, it does.
icon_smile.gif

Not to hijack the thread but, I have Lilly's new book and his recipe quantities are way out of sorts. Many rub quantities aren't enough to cover the required meat. Also, I can't get past his use of 1/8 tsp measurements. Maybe that's just me.
Otherwise, the background on Bob Gibson is great.
The white sauce is like a No. 5 sauce. Easy and great tasting if you like that flavour.

Originally posted by James Harvey:
Not to hijack the thread but, I have Lilly's new book and his recipe quantities are way out of sorts. Many rub quantities aren't enough to cover the required meat. Also, I can't get past his use of 1/8 tsp measurements. Maybe that's just me.

James, it's not just you. I think C. Lilly just failed to recommend doubling or tripling, etc., the rub recipes as needed. Also, the times/temps should be taken with a grain of salt, especially for us wsm users.

However, the book still still has some of the best recipes I've seen published. I wouldn't recommend the book to someone new to bbq, though.

Agreed. I happened to get Lilly's, Smoke & Spice and Paul Kirk's books at the same time. The last 2 are great for traditional recipes while Lilly updates them.
One other peeve though, his use of garlic salt. I generally prefer to separate them but I don't have any trophy's on my mantle so...

we love this sauce, I first learned of it from a raichlen book and I find his recipe, which calls for heavy salt and pepper, high heat, a coat of vegetable oil halfway through to crisp up the skin really pairs well with the sauce. I've had the bbg branded sauce from a bottle and it's pretty good but I prefer raichlen's recipe.

a visit to bbg is on my bucket list of places to visit...down to less than 10.

Back